ǝǝɹɥʇ-ʎʇɹıɥʇ

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴄᴀʀᴇ

ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜꜱ ʟᴀᴛᴇʀ

To say that the kiss may have been a mistake? Understatement. I hope you can hear my nervous chuckle, right now. It wasn't that Max liked me like that. She was just... interested? Of what it felt like? That's what she said in the letters, so that's what we went with.

The rest of that Christmas week was spent with the two of us acting as though it never happened. Acting as though we were still just good friends. What was it going to be? Best friends who sometimes made out?

The girl had never really mentioned again, in letters or in person, anyways. Maybe she thought it was a mistake, too, or maybe, just maybe- no. That's ridiculous and we all know it.

"Why?" Glancing up from my plate of food, barely touched, I saw a confused face of El, her eyebrows furrowed. After every time I had gone back to Hawkins, we had gone through the same conversations. It wasn't getting on my nerves just yet, but I got the slight feeling it was annoying Will. Everything was getting on Will's nerves recently, though.

"Why what?" I asked quietly, moving the same three peas on my plate around with a fork.

"Why are you going to Hawkins again?" At El's question, I just shrugged a little. How are you supposed to explain lesbianism to El? Let alone unrequited love...

"To... see them all again?" I say, a little confused.

"Mike is flying over Saturday." Will pointed out from his steak, cutting the meat rather... passive aggressively.

"But Parker goes to Hawkins all-" Before El can even finish her sentence, Mom spoke up, obviously no too keen on the idea of us all arguing tonight.

"Parker works for the money." Joyce insisted to the brunette. "She's... connected to the town still." Okay, let's be real for a second; she could've worded that much better. Connected to the town? So is Dart if you think about it...

"But-" Before she could even think about finishing her sentence, Will snapped.

Cutlery clashed against his plate as if he had thrown them. I wouldn't put it pass him if he had, really. Rule number fifty-one: put Will up for a cutlery throwing competition? "Will you just tell her the truth? It's not like its news to anyone else here." As his voice raised up at me, I stared over at him blankly, unsure of what to say. "You're going there every single holiday and time we have off school and it's getting more and more obvious-"

"What is he talking about?" I then looked over at El with the same eye-wide, blank expression. Shit.

"Uh..." I glanced around the table, seeing Johnathan away with the fairies, picking at the mushrooms on his plate. Not those kind of mushrooms... "I uh- I just need to go back to Hawkins. I need to see Max..."

"What's wrong with Max? Is she okay?" I raised an eyebrow at her sudden worry and concern. SHIT SHIT SHIT-

"No, no- she's fine." I nodded, insisting nothing bad was going on with the girl. "I just- need to clear something up-"

"Has that got anything to do with the k-" As Will began his sentence, I didn't tare my eyes off El, kicking him in the shin next to me. As he yet out a short yelp, I swore to myself to make sure that this topic did not come up for a fifth time.

"With the what?" This time, also Mom was interested. SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT.

"Nothing." I say quickly, speaking over what Will was about to say. "I need to see Max, set a thing or two straight, you know?" I nod, looking between them both.