uǝʇ

꧁꧂

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴᴀɴᴅ ɪ'ʟʟ ᴄᴀʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍɪɴᴇ

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asks as we walked down the train tracks. It was pitch black outside, and the forest around us didn't really help with the whole trying-to-not-be-scared thing.

"Yes." Dustin insisted. "He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." Not say that sounded weird but...

"Well, he was tiny two days ago." Max pointed out to the boy at the front.

"Well, he's molted three times already." Dustin shot back as we walked.

"Malted?" Steve asked, causing me to shake my head.

"Molted, Steve." He nodded at my words. "He's shed his skin to make room for growth... like uh... hornworms?"

"Right, yeah... knew that." Steve murmured, moving his torch out to see if anything was lurking in the woods, adding to our luck this evening.

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked, making me look over at Dustin. I was no Demogorgon fan or expert. Neither was he. But he's had one as a pet, so that's his problem.

"It's gotta be soon." Dustin said. "When he does, he'll be fully grown. Or close to it." Either of which sounding as bad as each other. "And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats." Steve told the group of us. Too far, Steve. Too far.

"WAIT." Lucas stood ahead, stopping Dustin. "Cat?! DART ATE A CAT?"

Dustin thought for a moment. "No. What? No..." The boy shook his head before Steve spoke up, not getting it as the three of us stared at the two idiot boys.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews." R.I.P Mews. He was a good cat the three times I'd met him.

"Mews?" Max asked. "Who's Mews?"

"It's Dustin's cat." He said casually, not understanding Dustin was trying to hide it.

"STEVE!" Dustin yelled at him, annoyed.

"I KNEW IT! YOU KEPT HIM!" Lucas shouted like the three year-old he was. Was it that big of a deal NOW? Could we fight about this on the school playground next week? PLEASE?

"No!" Dustin suddenly yelled back. Lucas waited for more of an answer. "No... No, I... No, I..." He stuttered on his words before finally working up enough power to say a full coherent sentence. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"BULLSHIT!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?!" Dustin finally confessed.

"OH, SO NOW YOU ADMIT IT?"

"Does anybody actually care-" I don't even finish my sentence before Lucas talks over me.

"I CARE. HE PUT THE PARTY IN JEOPARDY. YOU BROKE THE RULE OF LAW!" The arguing continued before Max was suddenly brought in, now worrying me. If they could, you know, keep her OUT of it, it would've been far more appreciated.

"YOU TOLD A STRANGER THE TRUTH!" Dustin shouted, flashing his light in Max's face.

"A stranger?!" She recalled, not having it. Oh, it didn't matter if Dustin knew everything about DnD, or even every spell, he stood no chance against Max and her stubbornness.

"DUSTIN, YOU WANTED TO TELL HER THE TRUTH!" I shouted, holding Max back with a hand as she began walking towards him, pissed off. No. She wasn't about to knock him out cold. Now wasn't the time to leave Dustin abandoned on the train tracks.