{ten}

Jamies' Point of View

I gently splash some cool water on my face, jolting me up out of this morning daze. Placing my elbows on the counter, I stare up into my reflection. It's been days since we had dinner, but I can't shake the feeling I had when she placed her hand on mine. The electricity...the spark, it was there, just like it was the first day I met her and every moment since. Gently shaking my head, water dripping on the counter, I try to shake the image of her face that's burning in my mind.

I am to be at the airport in an hour to pick up my child...and my wife, yet here I am, my thoughts consumed of another woman. At dinner, sitting across from her, her face lit by the dim candle on the table, her smile radiating...I realized that no matter how much I try, I can't shake her. I've tried to but I'm incapable. But now, everything will change.

...

I pace back and forth at the gate, awaiting their arrival. My fingers nervously tap my jeans. And then I see her, my beautiful daughter. In that moment, all my nerves, anxiety, worry...just fades away when I see her, my baby girl. I hug Amelia before leaning down and placing a kiss on Dulcies forehead.

Breathlessly Amelia whispers "Jamie...god I missed you." Before she places a soft kiss on my lips...no spark...

"I'm so glad you two got here safely...c'mon, lets get you two home." I grab the carryon bag at her feet.

...

I couldn't sleep all night. I'd get up and just watch Dulcie in her crib. No matter how confused I may be about my romantic life, at least I can safely say, I will always utterly love this child.

I managed to get a few hours of sleep. But I couldn't help but notice the unfamiliarity I felt having Amelia sleeping beside me. Perhaps it is because she and I have been apart for so, or perhaps things really had changed between us, or maybe I'd just changed.

Waking up, the sun barely shining through the bedroom window, I walk towards the bathroom. I step into the shower, steam quickly fills the room. Perhaps Dakota is right, I should just talk to Amelia...tell her how I'm feeling. But what do I even say..."Oh by the way wife, I'm fairly certain I'm in love with another..."

And before I can even finish my train of thought, a pair of two hands wrap around my chest. I quickly jolt awake, turning around I find my wife, naked...standing in front of me.

"Amelia...goodness you scared the shit out of me...as uh...nice as this is, I have to run to work..." I quickly kiss her lips before turning and exiting the shower. Now I know I have changed...if this had happened a year ago I would have happily been late...now what? It just feels like I'm doing something wrong...feeling what I'm feeling and still being intimate with her. 

"Jamie...what's wrong?" She turns the water off and steps out of the shower, wrapping a towel around her body. "I'm sorry Amelia...nothing, I just...have to run to work. Dakota and I have lots to film today." That's not completely a lie.

"Ah yes, the infamous co-worker. Now when will I get to meet this woman of yours? Oh I know, how about you invite her for dinner tonight! I can meet her and she can meet Dulcie!" She claps her hands together before I even have a chance to interject. "Amelia...you just got her...maybe you should rest for a few days." I call out after her as she leaves the washroom.

"Nonsense Jamie, invite her today will you?" I run my hands through my wet hair....fuck.