20. parole

sunday march 27, 1986
[tw: mention of abuse, panic attacks, and drug usage] (ik i'm sorry in advance)

eddie continued to try and get steve to call him 'daddy' the entire ride back, disappointingly to no avail.

they got back and it was just past 4, steve made a mental note that he'd probably have to go back up to the arcade around 7 to pick the kids up so they'd have enough light from the sun setting to bike back to their houses.

he might've driven them to the arcade, but it'd take at least an hour to drop all 4 of them off individually. they could bike home.

steve was knocked out of his parenting thoughts trance as eddie shut the front door behind them.

'what's up? you got all quiet,' he said, eyebrows raised.

'math on how long it takes the kids to get their arcade jitters out and play every single game in the building before i need to pick them up.'

'and?'

'i'd give us a good 2 1/2 hours maybe?' steve shrugged, leaning against the banister that sat at the beginning of the stairs.

'lot of things we can do in 2 1/2 hours stevie,' eddie said mockingly, stepping up to him with a stupid grin.

'you're an idiot,' he rolled his eyes, pressing a soft kiss to the older's lips.

eddie's hands moved up to rest on steve's hips, fingers sliding into the belt loops of his jeans and holding him closer.

steve moved his hand to rest gently on the back of his neck as fingers toyed at the bottom of his shirt.

and he was just about to pull the shirt off before the phone began to ring.

'ignore it,' steve said against his lips, refusing to stop what they were doing to answer a phone.

'no, no-' eddie shook his head, pulling away. 'it could be the kids or something and one of 'em's dead, you never know,'

'none of them are dead! come on,'

'answer it,' he insisted, steve reluctantly picking up the phone with a groan.

'steve harrington,'

to his surprise, he heard wayne.

'..is eddie there?' he said, having gotten steve's number from where eddie scribbled it down on a notepad a long time ago and put it on the fridge.

'uh, yeah.. one sec.' the nervousness in wayne's voice concerned him. 'it's your uncle,'

eddie's eyebrows immediately furrowed as he went over, taking the phone in confusion. 'yeah?'

'eddie? it's uh..' wayne paused, the tone immediately worrying him. 'it's your dad.'

'my dad?' he immediately said in surprise, beginning to chew at his bottom lip. 'what about him?..'

'he's out of prison.'

eddie felt his heart drop.

'he got out on good behavior, and he's apparently on parole now. here.'

'does he— does he know where the trailer is?'

'he shouldn't,'

eddie nodded, squeezing his eyes shut. 'okay. thanks.'

as soon as he heard the other line hang up, he slammed the reciever back onto the wall.

'fuck! fuck,'

steve immediately grabbed his hands as they trembled a little, looking at the other in concern.

'hey, hey. what is it?'