17. hickeys

saturday march 26, 1986
[tw: SLIGHT nsfw]

after a while, they decided to go back to steve's so eddie's uncle didn't have to deal with sharing the relatively small trailer.

eddie packed a bag and tossed it in the back of his van while steve changed into some of his clothes, refusing to keep the scoops costume on.

steve was about to follow eddie out but stopped when wayne began to talk to him.

'hey, uh..' eddie's uncle trailed off, waiting for him to tell him his name.

'steve. harrington, sir.' he said, slightly nervous as he shut the door, eddie waiting outside in the van.

'wayne, sir makes me feel old.' steve nodded, rubbing the back of his neck as he continued.

'now that you have.. a shirt on,'

god, why'd that have to be the first time he met one of eddie's family members.

'i know it's hard, the two of you being together.' steve gave another nod, looking down at eddie's ring that still sat on his right hand.

'..but eddie, he seems happier.' he looked up, that sentence catching his attention.

'and he's normally a cocky person, i know that, but i don't think i've ever seen him as genuine as he's been recently.'

'yeah.' steve said, a small smile on his face.

'i guess i'm just trying to say— don't mess it up, steve.'

'wouldn't even think of it, sir— wayne.' he replied, giving an understanding nod before closing the door.

'what'd he say?' eddie said as he started up his van, flinching as metal immediately blared from the radio.

'nothing,' steve snorted as he quickly turned the music down, his hair still in the now falling-apart messy bun. 'hold on, let me fix your hair.'

he walked over and leaned into the car, taking the hairtie out with an 'ow' from eddie as it pulled out a hair or two. steve quickly tied it up again into the same messy bun, pressing their lips together softly.

'steve??' a feminine voice said loudly, steve immediately pulling away and hitting his head on the roof of the van.

'ow! fuck,' he rubbed the spot he whacked on the car painfully, leaning back to see max in the driveway of her trailer directly across from eddie's in surprise.

'why're you at eddi-' she started, immediately cutting herself off as she noticed what steve was wearing consisted completely of eddie's clothes.

he had on a pair of black shorts that came down to just above his knees, a worn iron maiden shirt, and his normal white cortez nikes.

eddie and steve shared a worried glance, today was definitely not a good hiding-their-relationship day.

'so you two are..?' she looked between steve standing against the open car door and eddie, who had stuck his head out.

'..yeah.' steve said, knowing max probably wouldn't care, but he couldn't help but overthink.

'okay.' max nodded, giving the two of them a reassuring smile. 'oh, eddie?'

'huh?' eddie replied, a little caught off-guard.

'if you do anything to steve?' she raised her eyebrows at him. 'we're neighbors, you'll never be safe.'

eddie let out a laugh, knowing she definitely wasn't joking. 'i'd never hurt princess here,' he patted steve on the face, who made an 'eugh' noise at the nickname.