"Don't you dare laugh," He says, wagging his finger at me. I laugh, watching as Kane's hair drips water onto the floor. The water is off though. I smile, and try to suppress my giggles, but the absurdity causes a new fit of laughter to escape me. Charlie clears his throat, and a hurt look passes over his face. I turn to him, and Kane's words come back to me. Is it possible that Charlie likes me? I don't want him to feel anything towards me. I don't want anyone to have any emotional attachment to me when I already know I am going to betray them.

  "I can't believe we are heading out tonight," I whisper in awe. Two days ago, this was just a quick plan that I threw together, hoping to finally win back my freedom by sacrificing Kane's. I feel a small pang in my stomach at the thought. Betraying something or someone is hard when they aren't expecting it.

  Charlie hands me my ID bracelet, and I fasten it around my wrist. Apparently Paul is worried that we will all forget them if they aren't attached to us. I break away from Kane and Charlie and head towards my room, wanting to change before having a meeting. I slip into clothes, choosing a black t-shirt from the closet, assuming it is Charlie's. I grab a pair of pants, that with some cinching around the waist, I am able to make fit. I run my fingers through my hair, working through the tangles, taking a glance in the mirror. My dull brown hair reaches the small of my back, leaving a wet spot on the black tee.

  I sigh, thinking of how Lady Paula's reflection could make any man's jaw drop. I wipe a strand of wet hair off of my cheek, then reach for the door. Whatever happens tonight, I'll be happy. I am almost positive my plan will go on without a hitch.

  "No pressing questions this time?" Charlie asks, lightly poking Kane's shoulder.

  Kane just shrugs off his touch and pulls at his ID bracelet. I see guilt flash in his dark eyes, and almost begin to wish Charlie hadn't even brought up the topic. But then I think of Kane's harsh words, and I can't help but feel like my wish has been misplaced. Kane shouldn't have spoken the way that he did, and for that, he should be sorry.

  "No pressing questions," His voice sounds strained, as if he is holding back the guilt. I can see it, though. He feels guilty. Without thinking I pat his shoulder. He flinches at first, but then relaxes. His tensions lie with Charlie, not me. I pull my hand back, twirling my thumbs in my lap.

  Charlie pulls at my shirt, pinching the short sleeve in between his thumb and forefinger.

  "Isn't that mine?" He asks, a cocky smile taking over his features.

  I just smile, giggling. I did steal it out of his closet.

  "Let's talk about our plan, not our wardrobe," Kane says, looking towards Charlie. Charlie's face darkens, and I feel a pang in my stomach. Even if it is not my fault these two are fighting directly, it does have to do with me. I hang my head, trying to push the thought out of my head. I need to be indifferent.

  "We will pull out at five. No questions about it. The party starts at seven, and it's at least an hour's drive from here," Kane informs us. And by us, I mean all seven of us. I was the last to arrive. "And yes, first sign of trouble, we will run off. If that happens to happen, pull off your UCP, but keep it in your pocket. Those took a lot of work to create. Respect that."

  Kane's words come out clipped and hard, as if it hurts him to even be talking right now. I run my fingers through my hair, pushing my hair to the right. When I was younger, my mom always kept my hair short and trimmed, and I liked it that way. I wear it long and free now, not bothering to ever trim it. My mother would be shocked by the length and the lack of care.

  "Want to give us any last minute details?" Kane asks, looking in my direction. I just shake my head, not trusting myself to speak. What more can I say without giving away my plan? Kane raises his eyebrows, but just turns back towards everyone else, filling them in on some extra details. I try to listen, but I can't. My head begins to pound, and I press my cool fingers to the spot. My fingers feel heavy against my sore skin, and I pull away. What I wouldn't give for one of those patches right now.

  I tap Charlie on the shoulder, and he turns, his eyes downcast. Kane knows how to get to him, and I find it very unfair. Kane doesn't have a weakness, or at least not an obvious one. He doesn't have an easy way to get to him, which leaves him guarded and protected.

  I point to my temple, and Charlie nods, reaching into his pocket. I nearly gasp when I see him pull out a blue patch, but I refrain. I sigh when he places the cool gel-like patch on my temple. Immediately, some of the pain disappears and I feel a wave of relief flow over me. Charlie's fingers brush my cheek, and he pulls his fingers away, turning back towards Kane. I try not to notice the pink color that creeps onto his cheeks, but I see it. I decide that I am only imagining it; that Kane's theory has caused me to be paranoid.

  Kane sends me a quick glance, and his eyes land on the blue patch just to the right of my eye. He reaches out, pressing on it to make sure it is secure.

  "If the headaches don't go away soon, we will have to try some stronger medicine," He says, watching as I flinch from his touch. The slightest amount of pressure cuts through my head, sending a burst of searing pain across my temples. He pulls his hand back down, reaching for something in his pocket. It's another pouch, but this one it a like green color. He sticks it to my other temple, and I feel a stinging sensation spread across my skin. Soon though, the ache lessens until it is a dull thump. I sigh, running my fingers over the patch. What little life savers these are.

  "Is everyone clear on the plan?" Kane asks, returning to business. When everyone nods, he dismisses us to all go about out day, but to be prepared to leave by five.

  "All of us men agreed you would need an escort," Kane says, bending down to tie his shoelaces. The laces are uneven, and I see his struggle to keep them tied together tightly. "And I was nominated for the job."

  I nod. I am thankful they all though of me, but at the same time, that could complicate things. What if I can't shake him off long enough to inform an Agent of his whereabouts? What-ifs roll through me, along with ideas of how to ditch Kane at the party. I could say that I am in need of a bathroom. I could also find someone else to distract him. I really haven't got a clue yet, but I hope that tonight I will find an answer and everything will go smoothly.

  "I will bring some extra patches, too," Kane says, reaching into his pocket to show me four more of the lime green patches. I smile, happy to know my headaches will be the least of my worries tonight. I don't know whether it is the closeness of the mission or all of the worrying I have been doing, but a wave of nausea grabs my stomach, and I take a seat. I try to take deep breaths, resting my face in my palms.

  "It will all go fine," Kane says, taking a seat next to me. "The Government won't know what hit them."

  Neither will you, I think to myself, and a whole new wave of nausea clenches my stomach, tightening my throat. Whatever happens tonight, I will never forget the taste of guilt in my mouth.

A/N~ Wow guys, sorry its been so long! We just got done with our big musical at our school so now I have free time. What do you think is going to happen? Any guesses?