Chapter 37: Forest of Anxiety 2018, Epilogue

Where the event had all started, the four students who had concluded, most likely, the strangest spirit encounter of any student that day were the last to arrive and still soaked as droplets of water fell from their uniforms. Oddly enough, the four of them were the only students to be drenched or wet at all for that matter; the rest were as dry as a desert. That alone earned them suspicious looks from everyone, not just because they arrived the latest.

Utahime asked, "Did the four of you go swimming? Why are you all wet?"

"Did no one else get rained on?" Kugisaki asked, looking around at everyone else shaking their heads.

Fushiguro raised his eyebrow, "There was no rain."

"What?!" Itadori gasped, pulling his uniform jacket away from clinging to his skin, "Then explain why we're soaking wet!"

"That's what we all want to know!" Fushiguro fired back.

Principal flashed the bickering students a warning look, "Hush both of you, we can ask about their strange bathing habits later. We still need to draw the Exchange Event to a formal close."

"What about the second day?" Nishimiya asked.

"There will not be a second day. We will be ending things here."

By the several shared faces of shock, this news came as a surprise to everyone. For the second year in a row the Exchange Event would not be holding a second day event— the more highly anticipated event as recounted by previous participants and teachers. Visibly irritated, Kamo spoke up, "Why? The second day is always the best part. I wanted a chance to fight that brat head on since they evaded me all day!" pointing a finger at none other than Haku.

They turned their head slightly and shot him a disapproving grimace, "You really are unnaturally obsessed with me."

"I am not obsessed with you! That's absurd!" Kamo huffed, defensively crossing his arms over his chest as he angled his body away ever so slightly.

Miwa giggled, "Kamo we would love to support you in that claim, but then we'd all be wrong."

A faint rosy tinge dusted his cheeks, "Shut up you useless idiot," he gritted through his teeth, aiming not only his anger but embarrassment towards her as well.

Mechamaru took a step forward in front of Miwa, "Hey Kamo, mind your tone."

Gojo clapped his hands to disperse the arguments that had broken out amongst the students, "Okay children— can we proceed with the results now?" Immediately the chatter ceased and he continued without interruption, "though no school emerged victorious in finding the other's flag, there is a clear-cut winner. With a score of 540, the winner of the 2018 Goodwill Exchange Event goes to Tokyo."

"What?!" every Kyoto representative exclaimed in unison disbelief, including Principal Gakuganji and Utahime.

Principal Yaga expected this and he gestured to two students in particular, "Largely due to Inumaki and Fushiguro exorcising the Semi-Grade One curse together, that cemented Tokyo's win."

Todo pushed his way forward, "Then what about the spirit we fought in the forest?! It was grotesque and smelled like shit! That's why we're all wet! Did I not earn points for Kyoto from that?"

The administrators exchanged looks between one another. Most troubled, Principal Yaga as the corners of his mouth tightened and he swallowed hard, clearly deliberating his next choice of words carefully, "We didn't wish to alarm any of you, that's why the event is concluding after today, but it seems the event was compromised and infiltrated by an unknown party. The Council and we as staff are investigating the matter closely. We're glad none of you were seriously injured."