Chapter 10: Dancing with the Devil

Despite being at Jujutsu High for almost an entire month, Haku has still not received their own room because they've never gotten the chance to leave the infirmary. After the visit to Master Tengen, the next three days were no exception. Gojo was once again chewed out by Ieiri, but unlike she said previously, she allowed Haku to return to their reserved bed. She claimed she would do so only because Haku had no obvious injuries and, this time, they were purely just unconscious.

In their comatose state, Haku relieved every memory Master Tengen had transferred to them at lightning speed. Hundreds of years of knowledge whizzed about like fruit inside a blender inside of Haku's head. It was quite a process and copious amounts of information to dissect and digest; it was a miracle Haku only remained asleep for three days.

Upon waking, it was like a remote disassociation to reality. Everything had a hazy glow about it and Haku's senses were all overwhelmed. The world came crashing with a weight equivalent to a freight truck as Haku inched forward slowly to sit up in the hospital-like bed of the infirmary.

As their eyes adjusted to the brightness of the room steadily, Haku's gaze washed over all in sight. Like usual, the room was empty of others besides themself— an empty, bleak, uninteresting room. That is until Haku twisted to the side to stretch out to find the nightstand beside the bed with an unusual object placed on the surface.

A vase filled with an assortment of flowers Haku recognized to be the very same as those from the zen garden just behind the infirmary. It was a place Haku spent quite a lot of time and the only place Ieiri would let them wander while recovering. The flowers weren't all, there was also a small stuffed panda and a what looked to be a card.

Haku reached out to grab the card and stuffed panda as they opened it to read a note scrawled inside with multiple different types of handwriting.

     Get well soon Kohaku! - Okkotsu, Yuta

Takana — Inumaki, Toge

The stuffed panda isn't as cute as the real thing
     so get better quickly for a real hug — Panda

Get plenty of rest so we can train together
     again — Maki

It was a short note, but a note written from the heart's of everyone. A gesture that was unexpected to say the least, but for the first time since arriving in this strange new place, Haku smiled— genuinely. These feeling of happiness spread from the tips of their fingers where the note had been grasped, all they way to the tips of their toes. It was like the warmth of a hug on a cold morning.

With these well intentions and happiness, Haku wanted to try something from a memory that came forth unlike before. Haku held the card out before them with one hand as they hovered the other just slightly above the surface. With a gentle turn and sweeping motion upwards to now face their palm to the ceiling, the intention from the memory had come true. In the palm of Haku's right hand, hovering just a few centimeters above their skin, a shikigami paper doll had manifested from the note. Imbued with Haku's positive energy, the paper spirit bobbed up and down slowly as it floated there happily.

It was the first time Haku had paid attention and recognized the feeling of the movement of positive energy within as it flowed through their fingertips; lending an aid in the creation of the shikigami paper doll. Haku's smile had grown from earlier as they tried moving the doll about the room. It followed Haku's every thought as it flew from bed to bed, window sill to window sill, before eventually settling in the space hovering just above Haku's left shoulder. It was silly, but Haku loved the paper doll made from the note given to them by their fellow classmates. Since coming here, this paper doll helped Haku to feel a sense of comfort.