Chapter 7: The White Dragon

The next day the first year students, except Haku who hadn't waken up yet from Inumaki's command, and Gojo Sensei gathered in the classroom once again; this time at a reasonable hour. It seemed there were many unanswered questions lingering in the minds of everyone.

"Let's address the elephant in the room. Namie! Would anyone like to go first?" Gojo Sensei asked, opening the floor to any and all questions. Even just from name mention, Inumaki shifted uncomfortably remembering the encounter of yesterday and what he now knows.

"Yeah I would, who the hell did you bring here?" Maki spoke up, still uncertain about the strange student. Gojo nodded, affirming that that was indeed a good place to start.

"As kids were any of you told the story of the White Dragon?" He asked, scanning the room.

Only Inumaki and Maki nodded their heads, having come from a families with deeply tied roots to jujutsu sorcery. Yuta and Panda shook their heads.

"In a nutshell, the core of Jujutsu sorcery is... Cursed Energy, the manipulation and manifestation of it. Every human possesses it and from it cursed spirits are born from negativity— a side effect of cursed energy. We, as jujutsu sorcerers, exist to eradicate said curses to maintain a balance in this universe. However, that balance is never quite in harmony. With all negative there needs to exist a positive—

"The White Dragon," Maki interrupted, Gojo was taking far too long to get to his point.

He nodded, "Yes, the White Dragon. It was prophesied thousands of years ago that under certain circumstances, a child would be born not lacking in cursed energy, but filled with an over abundance of positive energy. A positive energy that's called the Divine Blessing. Sure there are reversed curse techniques that theoretically work in opposition of cursed energy, making it positive. But that is not true positive energy, it's merely manipulating absence to form creation."

"So the White Dragon...?" Yuta trailed off, still not understanding the point if how the dots connect.

"The White Dragon is the maximum technique of a positive energy user. It has been said that this technique would be the world's salvation, erasing cursed energy instantaneously. However, the drawback is that in return, the user's body is the ultimate sacrifice for peace— becoming the dragon itself. And there is no force that is said to be greater than that of the White Dragon," Gojo finished and a hushed silence fell upon the class.

Yuta looked around, everyone's expressions seemed rather long. A dismal morning.

"And Kohaku...?" Yuta asked, he felt as if he understood where the story was going but he wanted to be certain.

Gojo nodded slowly, "The White Dragon that jujutsu sorcerers have been earnestly searching to find for centuries."

Yuta's eyes grew vastly wide as he shot up from his seat, "You're saying Kohaku is gonna die?!"

Inumaki feels a deep pain in his chest from Yuta's comment. It echoed something all too familiar. However, Gojo remained unbothered as he shrugged, "For the greater good. All cursed spirits would cease to exist, as well as cursed techniques. Inumaki would finally be able to say words other than sounding like he's ordering from a menu. Okkotsu, you would be able to freely live your life as if this never happened and you can properly mourn your childhood friend's death."

"I can't accept that," Yuta firmly stated, sitting back down once again.

"Sha-ke," Inumaki said, agreeing wholeheartedly with Yuta.

Gojo let out a wild laugh, the timing of which couldn't be stranger, "So you agree? Great, I'd rather not have the reality of jujutsu sorcery just vanishing in the blink of an eye."

"That was a cruel joke Sensei," Yuta whispered as he slumped over his desk.

"I was just telling you the legend, geez. But now that positive energy has been activated and the prophesied White Dragon has made an appearance in modern time, that also means cursed spirits will be on the rise as well and we can expect increased activity since the White Dragon's positive energy acts as a magnet for all things with cursed energy. That's also why all of you may feel drawn to Namie, like a child tugging along a security blanket. Your body's natural cursed energy is reacting to Namie's positive energy and the more of it you have, the more drawn you feel."

"Sensei," Maki interjected, "I can't possibly be drawn to that statue."

Gojo shrugged, "And it's a likely cause for why Maki has been more than unpleasant lately."

     The three boys had to hide their smiling faces as Maki looked ready to snap at any moment. Gojo remained highly unbothered as if this was any other day.

    He smiled, "It has now become our mission to protect Namie from executing the maximum technique in response to orders from the higher-ups at all costs, as well as working with Namie to harness the destructive power of the White Dragon without fully unleashing it. Okkotsu has first-hand experience of how unfortunate it is to be within the vicinity of it."

     "I thought you said Kohaku didn't engage in physical fighting yesterday?" Panda asked, looking over to Yuta.

     Yuta thought back to the incident, "It's not entirely untrue. The cursed spirits were indeed drawn to Kohaku, they completely disregarded me. But Kohaku couldn't move a single muscle. The entire time, Kohaku was drawn into a tight ball and struggling to breathe. Without warning, Kohaku screamed incredibly loud— ear-shattering loud, and there was a blinding white light. The cursed spirits had disappeared and after that it felt like my body had been drenched in gasoline and lit on fire. It hurt worse than any other pain I had ever felt."

     The other four present in the room listened to the recount of events very intently. Gojo even nodding here and there before clapping his hands, "Wow sounds like such a show I missed!"

     The student's mouths hung agape for the severe lack of concern in the teacher's voice. They should be used to it by now but it doesn't get easier.

     "Indeed, so promising," Gojo Sensei smirked as he crossed his arms against his chest, "Right now, it seems as if Namie is unable to control the positive energy from within on command. At most being able to release short bursts of energy with a strength equal to that of a special grade curse, but only in situations dire enough— like life or death. Similar to how Okkotsu channels his cursed energy into his katana, Namie has been channeling the positive energy releases in time with screaming. It's good to know that Namie has the raw power right now that can harm a special grade curse."

     Yuta pondered the events of yesterday as he put the pieces together, "So the reason I was hurt yesterday... was because of Kohaku?"

     "Precisely," Gojo said as he snapped his fingers together. "Namie's positive energy attacks not just the cursed spirits, but the cursed energy that flows inside of anyone possessing it."

     "Then how can we train Kohaku if we'll also become seriously injured?" Panda asked.

     "Tuna."

     Gojo Sensei just shrugged, "We just need to train Namie to channel the positive energy and focus it on specific targets. Much like how Inumaki has learned to control his technique to affect those he wants. Otherwise we would've all exploded a long time ago."

     "Tuna Mayo."

     Maki strummed her fingers against the desk, it seemed she was still slightly on edge, "So you're saying that Kohaku is as strong as a special grade curse?"

     "In drastic situations, yes," Gojo Sensei said with an absolute tone. "However, I think when Namie will try to gain total control of it, it may only be as strong as a Grade 4 curse initially. It may take time before Namie is able to gain the complete control of an ability like that. So for now, expect minor injuries in training together since you're all well above a Grade 4 sorcerer!"

     The students let out a collective groan, not a single one was enthused for the coming days to begin Kohaku's training.