They'd been walking silently for about a quarter of an hour, but it seemed like hours had passed. She wasn't one to require senseless chatter to fill the void, nor was she one who was possessed with the need to hear her own voice. But this silence was full of tension and unease, and it strung her nerves tight. And that she couldn't abide.

She cast about her mind for some neutral topic they could discuss. "Did you enjoy your morning ride with Diamond?"

"Yes," he stroked her nose with his free hand, "she's a fiery one. Aren't you, girl?" The last one he directed at the horse. "Gave me quite the exercise."

"She certainly enjoys being ridden by the men more than by the ladies."

Wyndham coughed rather violently, startling her.

"Is anything the matter?"

He shook his head as he thumped his chest with his hand. "Nothing. I...must have misheard you."

"That she enjoys being ridden by the men more than by the ladies?" She heard the maid smoother a giggle behind her but ignored it.

"Uh. Yes." His pinched expression discomforted her.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No. No." The maid sniggered and she realised Wyndham was trying hard to suppress a laugh. She felt as if she were the butt of a joke and felt extremely foolish at not knowing why.

"Are you laughing at me?"

"Oh. Most definitely not. We're..." The maid all but collapsed in a fit of laughter at that moment, so hard did she laugh that she had to squat down on her haunches and put the basket on the grass.

Wyndham soon followed after. Though his guffaws were more sedate, the effect on her pride was no more less potent than the maid's laughter.

She barely restrained herself from shouting at the two in mortified anger. When their laughing fit ended, she gritted her teeth and forced out the question in as even a tone as she could manage, "what is so funny?"

"Mum," the maid wiped away her tears, "we weren't laughing at you, I promise."

"We were laughing at what you said because it was delivered in such an innocent tone."

Confusion wrecked her. "But how is what I said funny?"

"I'm not sure unmarried ladies should be told the hidden meaning of what you said."

"When you are married, mum," the maid chimed in, "your husband will surely teach you."

"But how..." Understanding dawned and she struggled to not blush furiously even as the other two tried to suppress their renewed laughter. "I see. But, Harriet, you're not married. Why would you know what it means?"

Harriet stared at her. "I...uh..."

"Are you secretly married?"

The maid shook her head vigorously. "No, mum, I'm not. I swear. But I...have a...sweetheart. And..." Harriet bit her lip, unsure how to continue and she looked at Wyndham, a plea for help evident in her eyes.

Wyndham came to her rescue. "That is to say, her sweetheart taught her about marital relations."

"Oh." This knowledge went against everything she'd been taught, though she supposed she shouldn't be surprised. She'd overheard many a conversation between the married women in the village discussing about which young couple having to marry immediately because of a babe on the way. "Well...it's nice to know you have a sweetheart, Harriet. I hope he treats you well."

"Yes, mum, he does. And I hope you find a sweetheart of your own too."

"Yes, thank you."

The uncomfortable silence returned as they continued walking but Adelaide resolved to not say another word. She'd rather this silence than be the butt of a joke again.