Chapter 57

Double update because I feel like we all deserve it after the French GP and everything that's being said online about Charles, Carlos, and Ferrari. Hoping that the Hungarian GP is better 🤞🏻

If there are any typos in this chapter, don't be shy to tell me through the comment section :)

Enjoy!

*****

"How did he get the pictures?" I asked, trying to remember who was at Aurora's wedding. We didn't hire a photographer since the couple chose not to but I don't recall seeing any cameras pointed at us.

"I think it was Aurora's cousin— the one I danced with." Charles sighed, the disappointment clear on his face. "Most of the photos were harmless but there's one in particular that would attract the media like a piranha." Charles pulled out his phone, tapping it a few times before passing it to me.

The lighting wasn't all that good but with the quality of cameras today, it didn't matter. It was clear as day that Charles had his arms wrapped around me as we kissed in the middle of the dance floor. I already have a bad memory from this night because of the week after but this just made it worst.

I closed my eyes and felt Charles get the phone from me, left hand wrapping around my wrist in a comforting manner. "I can't believe this is actually happening."

"Believe me, I'm this close to running away again." He said and I opened my eyes to see him holding his thumb and index finger close to one another. "And I have to go to Greece tomorrow and act like everything's okay."

"Then don't." I find myself blurting out, the anger slowly crawling under my skin. We've adjusted our lives based on the choices that Chiara and Giovanni make. It's time to change that. "Tell them you're not feeling well and going out of town was not an option."

"Chiara's already seen me." Charles said and I cursed at that part. We both stayed silent until Charles' face brightened up. "My mother. She wouldn't dare go against that."

"Why not?" I asked, expecting that Chiara would've been in good terms with his mother if they've been together during the tough months where Charles' father was sick.

"Because my mother absolutely hates her." My eyes widened and I suddenly felt scared to meet Charles' mother if ever I had the chance of doing so. I've only seen her in the photos but so far, I haven't met her in real life. I heard she was there during the Monaco grand prix but stayed inside the Ferrari motorhome with Charles' brothers. Charles saw the expression on my face and he shook his head, a smile on his lips. "Don't worry, she likes you."

"What?"

"She knows who you are." Charles said without even looking at me, eyes trained on his phone as he talked to his mother.

"Again, what?" I said, placing both of my hands on Charles' cheek and making him look at me.

"My mother knows you?"

"Oh my god." I said, letting go of him and running a hand through my hair as I paced around the kitchen. "I know you said she likes me, but oh my god?"

"Valentine, stop freaking out." Charles chuckled, putting his phone back into his pocket. "Actually, freak out all you want because she's coming here tomorrow."

Oh my god. I am not ready for this.

*****

Pascale Leclerc was a beautiful woman who obviously loved her sons with her entire heart, if not more. I watched from the foyer as Charles opened the door for his mother, giving her a tight hug and kissing her cheek. During their hug, Pascale's eyes met mine and she smiled softly at me.