Chapter 49

Any predictions for the French GP?

Enjoy!

*****

Everyone was drained from spending the entire day out in the water so we all ate dinner at different times. We had ordered in from a nearby restaurant so the food was there in the dining table and anyone who wanted to eat was free to get some. I was one of the last to come down, entering the dining area just as Daniel went up the stairs with Heidi and Yuki in tow.

The doors leading to the backyard were open so I grabbed a plate of marinara pasta and a glass of water before walking outside. There was a slight breeze, but not cold enough for me to require a sweater over my clothes. I headed straight for the stone barriers which were big enough for me to sit and eat on.

Moonlight reflected against the water of the lake with a few boats still out there. On my right, I could see the lights coming from different houses as well as the ones from the central town. I reveled in the silence of spending some time alone, just appreciating the feeling of being back in Italy. This country will always serve as a safe space for me and right now, I'm even considering moving here permanently in the future. I already have a house and would still need to fly to L.A. from time to time but this would be my home base and that doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I was halfway with my dinner when the sound of a piano began ringing through my ears. I turned my head to glance behind me and saw Charles' back facing me from the second floor as he played the piano, the doors of the balcony wide open with some light streaking into the backyard. I didn't recognize the song at first with its soft tunes being drowned out by the air around me, but as he played more, I realized it was Make You Feel My Love by Adele.

Turning back around, I continued eating while I listened to Charles play the piano beautifully. It was only a cover but whenever I hear him play, it felt like he was pouring everything he could into the instrument. I'm tempted to go up there and make a comment about the song choice but I know that wouldn't lead to anything good. We were in a good place as friends and I'd rather stay like this than go through all the drama again.

I remained in my position as Charles continued to play, hearing Everglow by Coldplay next. I knew he was aware that I was outside, having to have seen me when he opened the balcony doors. Maybe this was the performance he promised earlier today and I thanked him silently for it because hearing him play with this view in front of me made everything feel elysian.

The music lowered when I went back into the house, cleaning up and making sure to lock up, before I went upstairs. My feet padded towards the sitting room he told me and the door was closed. I could hear the soft tunes of the piano when I pressed my ear up against the door and I turned the doorknob, making Charles look up.

"Hey." He smiled, pausing his playing as I closed the door behind me.

"Thanks for the background music out there." I smiled and he chuckled. I looked around the sitting room which had a bunch of bookshelves lining the walls along with picture frames filled with artworks.

"You're welcome." He smiled and scooted over on the piano bench to give me room to sit down. "You looked like you were straight out of a movie, so I thought it was fitting to add some music."

I raised an eyebrow at what he said, making a mental note that it was a nice line to add in my upcoming movie. I took a seat next to him and Charles' fingers began playing with the keys, a slow but positive tune making its way to my ears. The song wasn't familiar with me but that didn't hinder myself from thinking it was a beautiful masterpiece. The last time I was in this position with Charles was when I was having the bad day between the two of us. I realized that coming back to Italy has brought back memories of the spots I've discovered and showed to him and at this moment, I found myself adding another one to the list.