Chapter 16

I sat in the corner of the cave, staring blankly at the fire. I wondered how long I was in the Games already. It had to be at least two weeks, maybe. It felt like years. Oh, how I missed the little freedom we had back at our District.

   My face was burning and my fingers were stiff. I could barely reach forward and give the fire more wood. I threw some in and immediatly drew them back by my side. The fire burned them, yet they were so cold. I huffed my breath on them and rubbed them together, desperatly trying to get warmth back into them.

   I tried to think of how many of us there was left. Lets see.... me and Flora for sure. I remembered that there was a total of two Careers left. Still, only four of us. It's going to be harder during these times- I am sure not going to hunt down Flora, and the Careers are not likely to turn on each other. That means they are hunting me and her. I shivered from the image of them spearing me, easily as killing a fish.

I took out my rabbit and nibbled at it. I had to do something. I couldn't just stay here and hide it out for much longer. Either the Careers are on my trail, or the Gamemakers are getting bored. No doubt they're planning some big thing for us.

I ate a big meal of what was left of my rabbit. I ate two hind legs, cooking them well over the fire. I was stuffed by the time I was finished. I am going to go out and start tracking the Careers down.

I started packing all my stuff inside my backpack, except for the blanket and jacket. I put the jacket on and zipped it all the way up to my chin. I threw the hood over my head and tied the string tight. I zipped my backpack up and put it on my back. I rubbed my hands and held them over the fire one last time.

   I put out the fire by smothering it with dirt. It died out, and I buried the glowing embers with the soil so it can enflame again. 

   Suddenly I heard a jingling noise outside. It sounded like a parachute.

   I walked out into the freezing air, and looked down at the snow. Standing out against the bright white snow, was sitting a metal parachute. Eagerly, I grabbed the metal and retreated back inside the cave.

   Hoping it was water, I eagerly opened the parachute. Or maybe it was medicine for my cheek. I unlatched it with my frozen fingers and peered inside. It was wool of some kind. No, it was a hat and gloves, I realized as I pull them out of the ball. They were home-made, no doubt. You could see the stitchings where they put it together, but they were warm and made out of thick gray wool. For some odd reason, they seemed familiar. I put the hat on my head and opened the little paper that came with it.

   It read, "From mom, -H." She clearly meant my mom. Suddenly I hated the foul thing that was on my head. No matter what she did, I will always hate her. I stared at the gloves. This is what was familiar about them- I had a pair of these back at my house that she made for me a couple years back.

   But I needed to keep them on, or else I'll freeze. No matter how much these foul things disgust me, it's better than rabbit fur on my head and hands. 

   I took the blanket and stripped a long piece from it. I wrapped that around my neck, making a scarf. With the rest, I put it over my shoulders, like a cape. I didn't know what it was going to do to keep me warm, but hopefully it will block some of the snow from clinging to me and making me colder than I needed to be.

   Ready to go, I climbed out of the cave with axe in hand. I looked rediculous, I realized, but I was warm. That was all that matters. And also that I stood out like a snowhare in a forest.

   Carefully and slowly, I moved along the ground, stepping through the thick snow. I walked in the direction that I thought led to the mountains, because I knew the Careers would be far, far away from the lake, since what happened with the bears. Even I shudder at the thought of them.