Chapter 13

Two days passed of me staying low and only going outside to get water. No tributes have died during that time. I stayed hidden in my little cave, and even made a lichen cover for the entrace that I had draped over. It was cozy and warm for the cold nights, and I cooled it off during the day by going out into the shade.

My supply of food had disappeared. Now, I was left with nothing but water. Now I had to start hunting and gathering my food. But the problem was, I had nothing to hunt with except my axe. But my axe was too heavy. I needed something thin to hunt with.

Like a bow and arrow, maybe. I could make one. I had tons of wood for the bow and arrow, and for the string, I could use vines. It would take about a day to make, but I could do it. I wasn't too starving yet, so I could go by with berries.

I stood up and crawled out of the cavern with my axe in hand. I glanced around outside before crawling all the way out. I stood up and scanned the ground for a good, strong bow. I got a few sticks for the arrows.

After a few minutes search, I still couldn't find a thick, long branch. I ended up snapping one off of a tree. But then it made a loud snapping noise, and I froze, waiting for somebody to attack. But nobody came, so I quickly picked a poison-free vine off the ground and ran back under the lichen into the cave.

I sat down with my axe and got to work. I made a notch at both ends of the wood. I tied the vine on each end, making it tight and straight. Now the bow was almost finished. I peeled off all the spiky bark, leaving clean smooth wood.

For the arrow, i took one of the sticks and peeled the bark off also. I made the pointy end sharp with my axe. At the other side, I made a notch so the arrow would fit into the quiver.

Soon, after some touch-ups, the bow and arrow was done. It wasn't strong enough to take down a person, but probably enough to take down a small animal. I experimentally put the arrow in the quiver, and drew back the string and arrow. I let go and it shot straightly into the dirt, sticking there. I smiled to myself and pulled it out.

A boom made me snap my head up. Somebody just died. I crawled out of the entrance and looked around. When I saw it was safe, I crawled all the way out and stood up. I brushed the hair out of my face and looked around. It was silent and empty, except for the birds who sang and fluttered above me.

I walked around with my bow and arrow, inspecting. But all the time I looked, there was nothing peculiar. I wonder if it was Flora.

But then that thought disappeared when I heard another cannon, and then a wailing scream. I ran to the edge of the forest, just behind the coverage of the trees and bushes. I crouched down and peered across the lake.

What I thought were bears, were surrounding the beach. I widened my eyes as I watched three of them corner one of the tributes- the one from Three, I think- and one of them rise to it's back paws. It roared so loud that I could hear it clearly from all the way over here.

I watched in horror as the bear lunged forward and grabbed the boy tribute by the neck. The bear shook him like a piece of grass, and threw him to the side. A cannon boomed. I stood up and stumbled back. My heart nearly stopped as one of them turned their head. It was no ordinary black bear- it's eyes were red, and it was way too large for a small black bear. It was more the size of one of those Kodiak bears, or even bigger.

The bear pointed at me and growled something to his companions. I didn't see anything after that, because I was fleeing like a rabbit. I ran through the forest with the pines whipping my face as I ran. Then the trees eventually turned into large-trunked pines as I ran.

The ground beneath me began to slope. By the time I was running up the hill, I could hear the roars of bears and the pounding of many feet behind me. Another unnatural thing was that they were way too fast. They were running faster than my small feet could carry me.

I ran blindly up the hill, not knowing where I was. I ran and ran until the forest broke apart, and I was at the cliffs. I whipped my head around. The bears were coming fast.

I wildly looked around for a tree to climb or something to hide in or beside. But there was nothing but flat rock around me- the trees were in the direction the bears were coming. I knew this was the end for me. Mutt bears were going to kill me viciously. And I didn't even have my stupid axe with me- only this weak bow and one arrow.

The first bear roared and slammed through the trees, litterally bending over one of the trees. The other two followed in after it. The two following bears were a tad smaller than the first one. I guessed that the larger bear was their leader. They slowly started to come up on me, their big paws pounding the earth.

I backed up until I felt the ledge below me. I looked over my shoulder, only to see sharp rocks poking out of the lake below me. Slowly turned my head back to the bears. Their heads were sharp and ended at a point, like a fox's. I closed my eyes, as if to give up. I waited for the bears to rip me apart, and I braced myself. I only wish that my fate will go as quickly as the boy from Three's.

But nothing met my throat. I opened one of my eyes. I glanced at them, and they were still there, waiting for something...

Then with a sickening feeling, I realized that the bears were waiting for me to jump. They slowly inched forward, their red eyes mad. I would rather them kill me with one bite then falling to my death on rocks.

With one last attempt for my life, I threw my stupid bow at one of the bears' snout. I roared as it hit it in the chest, but it didn't attack. I could tell the lead bear, the larger one, told it not to attack me. They were going to make my death misrible and long.

Suddenly a peircing scream made my head snap up. The bears let out a confused roar, and turned their heads. With a thump, something met one of the bears' heads, and he looked like he get shocked. The bear made a zapping noise. It collapsed onto the ground with a thud and lay there, unmoving.

I caught a glimpse of brown hair, and I had a odd feeling of terror and happiness. The two bears charged for whoever had thrown the thing at the bears. I watched on in complete shock as another dropped and let out a shudder, leaving only the leader.

He stood angrily on his hind legs and let out a deafening roar. I had to clutch my ears because it was almost too loud.

I ran forward and took the bow in my hands. I put the arrow in it's string and pulled back. I aimed at the bear's neck, and fired. Although I knew it was going to do nothing, I wasn't about to be shown up by Flora or anybody else.

The arrow went deep into the bear's black neck, and then I heard another thump and the bear let out a zap. Flora must've thrown something also at the bear. I glanced up as a shadow covered me. I widened my eyes and dove to the side as the bear came toppling back. I landed on my knees, and the large, dead bear landed where I was standing a few seconds ago.

I quickly looked up at Flora and clumsily stood up. She was also on the floor, and she sat up. Her eyes went wide with terror and she scooted back, and stood up wobbily.

Right when she was about to run away, I said, "Wait!" But she didn't listen. She gazed back at me once more before running back into the forest.

I stared after her, completly confused. Why had she just saved me, and then run off? It made no sense to me. I glanced at the ground, and spotted something. I bent down and picked up something. It looked like a bullet case, but instead it was larger- about the size of my fist.

I rolled it over and read the print. It read, "Electric Bomb". I am guessing that is what she threw at the bears to kill them. I wondered if she has any more of them. Flora must've gotten them from a sponser, or found them at the Cornicopia.

I let out a loud sigh, and grabbed my bow. I wasn't even going to bother taking the arrow out of the bear's neck. It was probably broken anyways.

I walked into the forest. I stepped over the snapped branches on the ground and into the thick, tall pines. I listened for the river, and pinpointed where my cave would be.

A few minutes later, I was finally at my cave. I was exhaused and tired. I could barely stay up on my feet. I uncovered the lichen and crawled inside. I rolled onto my back and closed my eyes with a sigh. My muscles were aching, and my eyes were heavy.

I looked to the side, and gently touched my axe. I was stupid not to take it out with me. I ran my fingers over the sharp rim, and I pulled it to my side.

And then I closed my eyes and gave away to sleep.