Chapter 22: First Snowfall of the Season

Start from the beginning

"Hey, it's just like Santa Claus. We could even put a Santa hat on top of it. That could be cute."

"That does sound like a cute idea. I've never thought of doing that. I'm glad we have someone so creative along with us," Irmelin warmly smiled at me.

"I'm creative too," Leo defended.

"Hanging a real pickle on the tree, letting it rot for a whole month, and then telling us to find it on Christmas morning, doesn't count. It was a sweet idea, but you were supposed to use a pickle ornament."

"I was just a kid. I thought they meant a real pickle."

"I know, and you were so cute back then." She ruffled his hair, which made him give her an annoyed look.

"I like this one," I shyly said, finding a sort of shorter and fatter evergreen.

"It does have a sort of character," Irmelin expressed.

"Yeah, it isn't so bad." Leo brushed his gloved hand across the branches. "Is this the one we're going with?"

"I think so," his mom decided.

"Come on, let's cut it down together," Leo told me, him helping me to lie on the ground right. We both moved the saw from each side, me giggling at how he yelled 'timber' even though his mom was literally holding onto it already.

"You're crazy," I whispered, pecking his lips gently.

"I know," he smiled, us looking up to see the first snowfall of the season. A few giggles escaped me as I gazed up at the tiny flakes in wonder.

"Wow... it really feels like Christmas is coming now," I breathed. Leo helped me to my feet, us having to find Clementine and Tobey. They had started playing a game of hide and seek with each other, where they kept chasing each other through the trees.

We stopped inside the holiday shop as his mom got the tree ready to be taken home.

"This place is like Santa's workshop, simple yet very festive," Clementine concluded. I was picking up a few of the wooden ornaments before putting them back in their baskets.

"Look at this train set," Tobey piped up, on his knees on the bench in front of the display. The train was going along the tracks with a small village surrounding it.

"You're acting just like the kids," Clementine fondly said while rolling her eyes.

"So? Christmas is for everyone."

"I think this should be our first ornament together," Leo said beside me all of a sudden.

"What," I asked, just surprised by his words.

"Do you like it? It's a fox like the one I got you for your birthday, except it's made of wood."

"You want us to have a first ornament together?" Tears pricked at my eyes as I did my best to blink them away.

"Yeah, I figured we could collect them in the future like every year."

"Yeah," I managed to get out, touched by his thoughtful gesture.

My head was still in the clouds as we ordered fifty cent hot chocolate outdoors. I had to blow on mine a few times before sipping it. Clementine and Tobey were goofing off again, running across the small, white stones where the cars might pull up.

"This has been a magical day. And it's snowing again," I noticed, lifting my head to see the snowflakes were bigger this time.

"Yeah, we better head home before it turns into a blizzard or something," Leo reacted, us finishing our drinks before getting into the car. Irmelin drove carefully with the tree strapped to the top of it, us singing Christmas carols together as we kept laughing, especially with how off key Leo was.

I couldn't help but admire him from the backseat, only seeing his side profile, but feeling my heart hammering in my chest. My love had grown for him so much today, and I wasn't sure how long I could hold it in.

We both had to help Irmelin drag the tree into the living room after dropping off Clementine and Tobey. Leo made sure to secure it to the stand properly, and cut the string carefully that kept the branches pressed together.

"Are you two up for decorating? Or are you too tired," Irmelin checked.

"Nah, we're good. Did you bring the boxes in yet from the attic," Leo questioned.

"Yeah, I just went up there yesterday while you were Black Friday shopping. I got all the ornaments from when you were a kid and a few newer ones."

"Did you get the gold garland?"

"Yes, I did." She teasingly brushed the end of the golden garland against his nose, causing him to scrunch it up.

"We should put the lights up first," Leo stated.

"Are they all tangled," I hesitantly asked.

"No, we have brand new packages for this year. The old ones were starting to flicker," Irmelin answered.

I was in heaven as she played soothing Christmas tunes in the background, the instrumental version of Noel reaching my ears as we put the last of the ornaments on the tree.

"And this one is for you, Leo. You can hide it for us to find on Christmas morning," Irmelin spoke up, showing the gleaming pickle ornament.

"Alright, but no peeking. I'm going to put it somewhere you'll never find it," he promised, us closing our eyes as he did just that.

"I'm just going to put some mistletoe above the kitchen...," Irmelin trailed off, but we knew exactly what she was doing, both of us smirking at each other. "Who wants a snack?"

"If you wanted us to kiss, Mom, you could have just asked," Leo joked.

"No, I don't have to ask. I find you two making out places you think I can't find you all the time. I saw you in that leaf pile the other day."

Leo blushed a deep red, me just finding him so adorable all embarrassed. I pecked his cheek beneath the mistletoe before we entered the kitchen. The whole evening was spent with baking sugar cookies, icing them, eating them, and getting a head start on Christmas movies. We were enjoying Home Alone before midnight somehow hit.

"Wow... I can't believe how long our day's been," I yawned. "I wish this wasn't my last night here. It seems wrong to go back to school on Monday."

"It's only for a few weeks, and then we'll have Christmas break," Leo pointed out, us shuffling up the staircase after saying goodnight to his mom. Once we were in our cozy pajamas we cuddled beneath the covers in his room.

"Leo...?" I looked at him with only my eyes above the edge of the blanket.

"What," he fondly asked.

"I... I had a great time today," I eventually finished, terrified of saying 'I love you' first. I didn't want to push him too hard.

"I did too," he grinned, kissing my lips tenderly before we fell asleep in each other's arms.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I loved writing about the Christmas season. Lol. I think I'm just ready for my favorite holiday seasons. At least I can use Christmas in July as an excuse. XD Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3