xvii. confrontation

Start from the beginning

And then... silence.

Awkward silence.

Callie had no idea what he wanted to talk about. She wasn't usually the type to feel awkward in any conversation either. But after realising her feelings for Regulus, anywhere with him was awkward.

Regulus, on the other hand, had no idea how to begin. He didn't know what to say. So, he sighed, deciding it was better to talk about things chronologically.

"I heard what you and my brother talked about."

Huh? Which on— OH MY GOSH THAT ONE?!

With a cherry red face, Callie shook her head and hand, flustered. "I-I-I-I-It's not what it looks like!"

"It is what it looks like." Regulus was calm, the opposite of her. "I heard everything. And I'm no fool to believe the otherwise."

He quoted Sirius, he really did hear everything.

"I'm sorry..." Callie murmured, looking down and red in embarrassment.

"What are you apologising for?"

"I- I don't know..."

Another round of silence.

"Thank you," Regulus murmured.

Callie looked up in bafflement. "What?"

"For thinking of me that way. For thinking that I'm a good person when I couldn't even see myself as that." His voice was smooth and mellow, making her soften her gaze at him.

"You are a good person, Regulus. Nobody can change that," Callie assured him, softer and calmer than her previous flustered one. "So don't beat yourself into thinking that you're not."

"But I'm not and I can't be the person you think I am." His brows furrowed in denial.

"Because you already are that person." A small, soft smile made its way to her lips. "You turned your back to Voldemort. That alone is a sign of courage, of bravery, of morals."

Regulus scoffed. "But I'm no Gryffindor."

"You don't have to be a Gryffindor to be brave. Because it's in your name. You're Regulus, the heart of the lion. The heart of exceptional courage and bravery." Callie crawled a little towards him, making him look at her. "Houses don't define who you are. So no matter where you're sorted, you will always be that courageous and brave person I had always known." She wore a proud smile to show him how she felt to him.

The same curve would've plastered on his face. If not for a doubt running around his mind.

"Sirius was right. How could you think this highly of me when you only know me as a fiction? How could you think of me that high when you know little about me?"

"Because I know enough. I know enough that you are a good person. Despite just being mentioned in movies and books. The information they gave is enough for me to conclude that you are a hero. They're enough for me to know who you are."

"It doesn't make sense." His voice rose slightly, but not meant to offend her.

"Not everything has to make sense. How did I get here doesn't make sense either, did it not? And yet, I am here." She offered him a smile, hoping he'd give it back.

But he didn't. Instead, there was just confusion written all over his face. "But why? Why do you care for me when I was just," he scoffed, "a background character?"

"Because you're not just that. You're a hero, Regulus. A hero everyone should know. Because I love you." Her face returned red after realising what she just said. "As a fictional character, of course!"

He chuckled sadly. "Do I deserve this?"

Callie put a hand on his shoulder, her soft facade coming back. "You deserve even more. You deserve so much more. And I promise I will do everything to give them to you."

Regulus smiled, softly. The first time Callie saw it from him. Her smile widened even more at the sight.

"You should do that more often. Smiling suits you so much."

Her words caused a wider smile and flutter within him.

"Thank you."

Callie shook her head. "No." It was supposed to be the other way around. With the Marauders plus him and the other characters being her life anchor, it was supposed to be her saying that. "Thank you."

If that was a dream, they both wouldn't dare to wake up.

°°°

A/N: This was supposed to be posted days ago... but I've been sleeping late and all my time was consumed by school works :_) I swear this might just be the death of me. Thank you for coming to my rant talks:)

ToT save meeee

Have a good day or night! (I missed that line. I'm being too talkative. Bye!)