━ eighteen

-ˏˋ ━━━━━━━ ˊˎ-

one week later.

JUST ONE WEEK later and Florence was still laid in a hospital bed recovering both physically and mentally

JUST ONE WEEK later and Florence was still laid in a hospital bed recovering both physically and mentally. The doctors told her frightened parents —who hadn't left her side since she got to the hospital — that she suffered a few broken ribs, an intense concussion, and several gashes that needed stitches. Her injuries could've been worse, considering the circumstances — at least, that's what Florence told herself to soften the blow of how much everything hurt.

The bruises decorating her skin were beginning to fade and the medication she was receiving through an IV drip in her arm was helping ease the pain. Despite her physical wounds healing, the mental suffering she was experiencing was overwhelming and it was all but suffocating her. Her first three days in the hospital, she had to be sedated because she kept repeatedly falling into severe and debilitating panic attacks. The sedation took two days to fully wear off and once the fog cleared, all that remained was the desperation to think about anything else but that godforsaken mountain.

Her parents were unsure about allowing visitors after it had only been a week, but all of her friends had been begging with them since they had begun healing. They were all eager to check up on her, to talk to her to let her know that they were all there for her and waiting on her.

Florence was finally allowed visitors today, but only for a few hours.

"Hey, Flo." Mike said softly as he entered her quiet room. He took a moment to look around and take in the comfortable atmosphere. Her bedside tables were decorated with get-well gifts like flowers, cards, and stuffed animals. Sunlight streamed in from the window to the right of her bed which she hadn't gotten out of since she took a shower that morning in the bathroom adjacent to her bed. The room was peaceful, just as Florence wanted it to be.

"Hey, Mike." Florence greeted him, a soft smile on her lips. She was overjoyed to finally see someone from her friend group, especially Mike. It was comforting to see him and to know that he was doing alright — at least physically. His wounds seemed to be healing, and that brought her some solace.

Tears pricked Mike's eyes as he fully took in the sight of his precious, battered friend. Her face was still littered with cuts and bruises, as were her arms. He assumed her lower body looked the same. The side of her head, which had been busted open, was being repaired with staples. Her tired eyes held deep purple bags beneath them — he couldn't imagine she was getting much sleep after the traumatic events that took place merely a week ago.

As far as Mike knew, at least half of their friend group had to be prescribed medication to help them sleep and fight off the nightmares they were all having after that night on the mountain.

Mike felt terribly for Florence. He was still experiencing extreme guilt for pulling her away from Josh when he was being dragged away by the Wendigo. He knew that she wanted to avenge him and try to save him, but he also knew that she would've died alongside him if he let her go. He knew Josh wouldn't want that, so he held her back. His heart ached for her — he prayed for her forgiveness for days. All he could hope was that his prayers would be answered and she would grant him her forgiveness.

Florence saw the tears pooling in Mike's eyes and she opened her arms to him immediately. He didn't waste a second setting down the flowers he brought for her on the edge of her bed and engulfing her in a careful embrace. He ensured that he watched her ribs as they hugged. Upon feeling the comfort of their arms around one another, they began to cry together. They stayed like that until Mike pulled away after a few minutes.

Once Mike pulled back and sat himself down beside Florence, he looked down and saw that she still had the promise ring on that Josh gifted to her just moments before he was taken. It was as if he knew that his last moments were nearing and he said the best goodbye he could muster up. He professed his love one last time and made sure Florence knew that he would be waiting on her to spend forever together.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you." Mike sighed. His first words to her — besides his greeting — were spoken with a gentle voice and a guilty tone. He couldn't shake the feeling that he could've done more to protect her, even though the rational side of his brain was telling him that there wasn't anything more he could've done.

Florence smiled softly, tears still spilling from her eyes every so often. She replied softly, "I'm alive, thanks to you. That's all that matters."

Mike couldn't help but feel responsible for Florence after Josh's death. He felt a certain desire to protect her, like a big brother would a for little sister. It resided deep within him and likely wouldn't go away anytime soon. Saving her was just a part of that.

"You saved me, Mike. In the mines and in the lodge. You saved me." Florence said, remembering everything Mike did for her on the mountain. He risked his life just to make sure she made it out alive. He didn't leave her behind to save himself, like he very well could have. She owed him her life, a debt she likely couldn't ever even begin to repay.

Mike brushed her heroic panting of him off. "I was just doing the right thing. Josh would've wanted me to help you. I know he would've."

Florence nodded, her fragile heart beginning to ache. "Do you think he's still waiting on me?"

Mike grabbed onto Florence's hand softly. He looked into her eyes as he said, "He'll be waiting on you forever, Flo. He promised. You know him . . . Josh doesn't break promises."

Florence smiled sadly, a couple tears falling from her weary eyes. "I like to think so."

A comfortable silence filled the room as Mike and Florence began to reminisce on memories they had with Josh; memories that they would cherish forever, until the day they saw him again in the afterlife where he was undoubtedly waiting for them — just as he promised moments before his imminent death.

Florence and Mike were survivors, just like the rest of their friends.

They made it off the mountain, just as Josh would've wanted them to. They fought through the lodge, the mines, the Wendigos, the forest, and the fire — all so that they could rise from the ashes of that traumatic night and become the survivors that they were now.

Now that they were all recovering, Josh was simply waiting on them so they could spend their forever together.

-ˏˋ ━━━━━━━ ˊˎ-