━ thirteen

-ˏˋ ━━━━━━━ ˊˎ-

new threats.

CHRIS AND FLORENCE were making their way back to the lodge amidst an unsettling silence when Florence spotted another totem lying in the snow

CHRIS AND FLORENCE were making their way back to the lodge amidst an unsettling silence when Florence spotted another totem lying in the snow. With trembling hands, she picked it up and noted its inky black rim.

» Florence was grabbed by a Wendigo as she ran out of the mines, its spindly fingernails digging into the side of her head.

Her feet dangled above the ground, a pained cry escaping her lips as the Wendigo stuck its hand straight through her stomach, killing her instantly.

Her limp body fell to the ground, a trail of blood falling from her lips. »

Florence placed the totem back on the ground and continued walking alongside Chris — still in silence — until they eventually reached the lodge. When they arrived, Sam and Ashley were the first to engulf Florence in a tight embrace. They hardly let her get through the door before their arms were wrapped around her. Although she greatly appreciated their support and comfort, she wasn't able to reciprocate much of their warmth due to the heaviness resting in her heart. All she could focus on was Josh, how terrible it felt just leaving him tied up in the shed like that.

Moreover, Florence was rather uncomfortable with the idea of leaving Josh alone with Mike — especially in the state he was in. Mike was angry with Josh and grieving for Jessica's death, which he blamed Josh for. Add onto that being stuck in a confined space together while Josh was off his medications? Disaster was liable to strike.

Despite her concerns, there wasn't much Florence could do about any of it. She wouldn't be allowed back into the shed if she succeeded at attempting to sneak out of the lodge. The only thing that would happen would be her getting dragged all the way back to the lodge. There wasn't much reason to even try going back to the shed — no matter how desperately she wanted to be with Josh. There was just no point.

All the anyone, including Florence, could do now was wait for the police to arrive on the mountain at dawn. It was only a few hours away now. It was anyone's hope that the last stretch of time would go by quickly. Josh didn't have much more time until he slipped even deeper into psychosis. A few more hours without medical attention and he could be stuck in an episode for days, maybe even longer. Not being on his medication was the most dangerous thing before, but now that he'd been off of it for a while, there's even more to worry about.

Florence was broken out of her worrisome thoughts once Sam came up to her. She sat down beside her on the couch and placed her arm around her shoulders in an attempt to bring her some comfort. She could see from afar the amount of stress weighing down on her and she figured she'd try her best to help. After all, it's what Florence would've done for any one of them if they needed it. It was only fair that they reciprocate that.