PART IV (End of Act I). Onward to the Summer Court

Start from the beginning

"You know, I do not think I have thanked you. For staying by my side. For everything you have done and sacrificed for me."

Orrian is Beta, like most other servants and laborers in the Glass Empire. He was a mere six years old when his Omega father, a lowborn Willorion native who worked in a brothel, sold him to a slave trader. He ended up in Ossola, found and bought by my Alpha father who made him my cot mate and eventually, my steward. We have been inseparable since.

"Let's face it. You can never get rid of me, not till your dying day." He let out a breathy chuckle before he pulled away from me. "Unless..." He lowered his head as he placed his hands in his lap, nervously picking at the skin around the nail on his right thumb. He may not be aware of it, but it's a habit he does whenever something is troubling him.

Eventually, he broke the silence and said, "You know, in Cardan, they treat the servants differently than in Ilialana. They make them wear black veils to cover their faces. They are not allowed to leave the palace unless they give account of themselves. They are not to speak without being addressed first." He wrung the sleeves of his coat nervously. "And they are punished by whipping, at the discretion of any royalty in the palace." This time, there was an edge to his voice. "Punished severely for the smallest of things, like spilling wine on a nobleman, or...or for missing out a silly little spot on the floor."

A flicker of fear passed over his face before he turned to me, a silent plea in his eyes. I reached out for his hand and squeezed it gently.

"I will never let anything happen to you, Orrian," I said reassuringly. "Anyone who would wish to do you harm would have to go through me first." I tried to force enough bravado into my voice to soften the raw edge of my steward's fears. And perhaps it worked, because the frown on his face slowly disappeared, a glimmer of a smile edging the corner of his mouth.

We talked about everything and nothing until at some point, Orrian fell asleep. Outside, the world blurred past in the sprawling afternoon shadows of small thickets of trees and bushes running from the edge of the hill, the sun glittering on the surface of River Beren.

As soon as we got out of the ravine, the carriage slowed and the blur beyond the window resolved into a landscape so entirely novel to me. Beside me, Orrian roused from his nap and followed my gaze out of the window. Soon the path became wider and smoother, leading us to a towering stone gateway, towards the Duchy of Lorraine.

I observed with wonder how the landscape had changed dramatically. The further we drove, the cooler and greener the terrain became. Where the kingdom of Ilialana is an arid and dry land, the countryside is a broad, rolling grassland blessed with trees and a vast array of flora. Dense and lush vegetation grew along the riverbank, with native villages dotted near irrigated fields of berry bushes, bladderwort, and cattails.

The Duchy of Lorraine is a quaint, rather sleepy little town sitting on the high eastern bank of River Beren, strung along the crest of the towering Jagged Mountain. It's a self-sufficient town that finds no need for airships to transport food and medicine. By the time we arrived at the town, the sky had already deepened to a deep purple, with wisps of pink and crimson from the setting sun. From the horizon, the first bright sparks of stars had started winking. A thin shroud of fog slowly rose above the river and meadows, where swarms of fireflies gradually rose in the mist to dance with the stars, and snow-colored flowers shrunk from the chill of approaching nightfall.

We settled for the night at a small tavern that served food and drinks, while the royal entourage pitched to camp outside the town. As I reached my designated chamber, the whole torrent of the day crashed through me. I was ready to settle in for the night.

After a quick basin bath, I changed into my nightgown and crawled into a small, single bed, feeling a sensation of bliss as I was finally able to stretch my limbs. Hungry as I was, I had barely eaten any supper, but as soon as my head touched the cushion, I quickly sunk into a deep, dreamless slumber.