• 19 •

"Are you all finished boys?" Mr Bentley asked, knocking on the office door.

"Yeah" Logan said, opening the door.

Alfie looked quite flustered as Mr Bentley re-entered the room.

"Are you alright?" Mr Bentley asked.

"Uh-hu" Alfie replied.

"Would you be able to sit down for a second?" Mr Bentley asked Alfie.

"Me?" Alfie questioned.

"Well, yes. It's your choice whether Logan stays or not" Mr Bentley confirmed.

"He can stay" Alfie quickly said, hoping Logan wouldn't leave him on his own.

Both Alfie and Logan sat down on the chairs that were across from Mr Bentley's desk.

"So, I've been having a few chats with the principle" Mr Bentley began.

This wasn't how Alfie expected the conversation to start, so he immediately felt slightly disoriented.

"We're slightly concerned that being in normal lessons is a bit too much for you at the moment" Mr Bentley went on to say.

"What do you mean?" Alfie asked, confused.

"We think that maybe you would benefit from coming out of your usual lessons for a little while and being with our one-to-one specialist teacher" Mr Bentley cautiously explained.

Alfie wasn't sure what to think. He had no idea that him having accidents would get him kicked out of class.

"You want him to go to the remedial class?" Logan questioned.

Logan knew that Alfie probably wasn't going to say anything else, so he stepped forward to ask the questions Alfie would've asked if he had the confidence.

"No, not the remedial class. That is for students who struggle academically. Alfie is very smart, he doesn't need that support. Alfie would be being taught by our referral unit teacher, Mr Preston" Mr Bentley explained.

(Mr Preston, the Referral Unit teacher)

"He doesn't need that either" Logan expressed.

Logan knew Alfie would hate to have to be taken out of mainstream classes, so he decided he was going to fight his corner for him.

"Like I said, Alfie is very smart, but we're worried that his accidents are going to start causing him to fall behind" Mr Bentley said.

"I'll do better, I promise" Alfie added, completely against the idea.

"This isn't meant to be a punishment, buddy. We just want you to be able to do as best as you can at school" Mr Bentley tried to help Alfie understand.

"Would you like to meet Mr Preston?" Mr Bentley suggested.

"No" was all Alfie said.

"He's fine" Logan spoke angrily.