• 12 •

Alfie was then led to the bathroom by Logan, Logan's hands steering him in the right direction as they gripped onto his shoulders.

"Quickly get changed and then we'll go back to find Mr Bentley" Logan stated as Alfie didn't seem to know what to do.

"I don't have any wipes" Alfie sighed, looking down at his soaking wet shorts.

"I know, it's not ideal. You can have a shower once you're home and I promise you'll feel all better" Logan tried to smile sympathetically.

Alfie then peeled off the wet blue shorts, leaving them in a pile at his feet. He took a deep breath in and pulled his underwear off too, adding them to the pile of damp clothes.

It was weird. Being naked in front of people would usually be a horrifying thought to Alfie, but as he stood completely vulnerable in front of Logan he felt nothing but safe.

"You're doing such a good job" Logan encouraged, handing Alfie the dry sweatpants that the kind lady in the waiting room at given to them.

Alfie smiled weakly back before tugging the sweatpants on and tying them up tightly.

"There. All nice and dry" Logan said kindly.

"But what about those?" Alfie asked, pointing to the wet clothes on the floor.

"Just throw them away, I've got tonnes of pairs of school shorts, it's no big deal" Logan spoke as he picked the clothes up himself and tossed them into the bin in the bathroom.

"I bet Mr Bentley is going to be so mad about his car" Alfie sighed.

"Don't be silly. It was an accident, he knows that" Logan reassured as they both walked out of the bathroom and back into the ER waiting room.

Mr Bentley smiled once he saw Alfie and Logan reemerging from the bathroom, beckoning them over to where he was sitting.

It took a little over 45 minutes for Alfie to be called in to see the nurse.

"What seems to be the problem?" she asked comfortingly.

Alfie looked at Mr Bentley. He wasn't prepared to speak for himself.

"There was a little bit of an accident at school and Alfie has hit his head" Mr Bentley explained, pointing to the back of Alfie's head that was still bleeding.

"I see" the nurse said as she put her gloves on so she was able to take a closer look.

After a minute or two or poking around Alfie's head, she announced that he was definitely going to need stitches.

Alfie looked at Mr Bentley, terrified by the idea.

"You'll be okay" Mr Bentley comforted, putting his hand on Alfie's back and rubbing it in circles.

"I'll put some numbing cream on it, so you don't have to worry about it hurting" the nurse smiled as she spread the cream all over the cut.

As she prepared the needle Logan reached his hand out and held it in front of Alfie. Alfie took it, holding it tightly as he breathed deeply trying to calm himself down.

"You're doing so good" Logan smiled as she squeezed Alfie's hand back.

True to the nurses word, Alfie didn't feel anything as she stitched up his head.

"Great job" the nurse said.

Soon Alfie, Logan and Mr Bentley were headed out of the ER and in search of the car.

As they got close, Alfie gasped and stopped walking.

"What's wrong?" Mr Bentley asked, worried that it was something wrong with his head.