1

A/N: Mention of drug use & alcohol

"I'm breathing aren't I
That's gotta be a sign that
The universe is on my side
If I've made it this far
I can make it all the way"

When Newt took his very first breath of air, it would always be something he would never remember. Today, felt very much like that day. When he took that first breath of air in the morning, except, today would be a day he remembered forever. He very much felt like mimicking his first cry into the world, but since he was no longer a seven pound baby, it would have been inappropriate. He felt like he was breathing water, the way his lungs seemed to fill so quickly with dread. The worst part were the clothes that he was meant to wear were already hanging on the back of his door. It had been a constant reminder for the past week, that he would have to live through this day, be involved in this day.

Briefly, he wondered if anyone would notice if he simply didn't show up. He had a habit of not being noticed, maybe it would play in his favor today. But since his roommate was purely responsible for this day, it would be hard for him to miss it. He pulled himself up to sit in his bed, his head hanging between his shoulders as he tried to will himself into starting the day. He would love to just have a coffee and curl up with a good book on the couch, as he would have done on any given Saturday, but today was different.

He stumbled to his feet and tried to rub the sleep from his eyes. There was still time for him to have a coffee, though. But he was trying to mentally prepare himself for the comments about the birds nest he kept on top of his head. His hair was long and wispy, but he liked it that way, Newt knew that he liked it that way, anyway. He stumbled down the hallway as if he were drunk, and fumbled with their coffee maker. It was old reliable. Mr. Coffee. Right next to the stupid Keurig that only made one cup of average coffee. In his opinion, not worth it. Over glorified coffee maker that sucks. As the coffee maker spat and sputtered to life, Newt leaned against the counter and tried not to watch. In his experience, it only filled slower that way.

"Good morning, sunshine!" Newt's head snapped up at the sound of his roommate's voice.

"Early. Morning. Shut up." Newt grumbled, crossing his arms over his bare chest.

"One day, I will turn you into a morning person." Thomas chimed. He fumbled with his own coffee maker as Newt tried to keep his eyes open.

"Y'know, I don't see that happening." Newt grumbled. He was heavily contemplating going back to bed anyway.

"Yeah, well, maybe if you were a morning person you would have time to tame that nest on top of your head." ah, yes. Just as he predicted. But Newt just rolled his eyes and played with the strings of his sweatpants. When his coffee was done brewing, he pulled his mug from the cabinet, a rather large cup with 'Coffee Makes Me Feel Less Murdery' printed on the side. After he poured his cinammony sweet delicious creamer in the cup, he could feel the life being restored in his body.

He held the mug in both hands and let the heat fill his body. There was something so nice about having that morning cup of coffee that he just couldn't place.

"So, be at the venue at three o'clock. Ceremony at five. We'll do pictures and all that after the ceremony." Thomas said. Newt just stood in his place, eyes closed, holding is mug. "Newt, are you listening?" Thomas asked.

"Mhm." Newt hummed. He could only relish in the soft waves of steam that warmed his face. Thomas kept the apartment at an ungodly cold temperature. His morning cup of coffee was the only way the tip of his nose would actually get warm during the day.

"What did I say?" Thomas asked.

"Be there at three. Ceremony at five. Something else." he replied. Newt didn't have to look up to know that his friend was frowning.