Chapter 10.

"I would love to wrap my arms around you right now," he took the pause, "but of course, if you let me."

I gasp with his words. I could feel the blood is rushing toward my cheeks right now; my face is probably as red as the garden of roses. Did he just ask permission to hug me? Did he? I always imagine being in his arms, it might feel really nice to be in his embrace and become so vulnerable while he's holding me tight. But still, in the moment like this, I don't know how to answer. Should I just go with 'yes, come and get me!' or 'sure, why did you need to ask?' or just give him a simple nod. Oh God, I'm so bad at this!

"Did I just cross the line?" he asked nervously, I could notice his voice is kind of shaking. I guess I'm being busy with my thoughts again and didn't notice the man in front of me is waiting for the response.

"No! It's just..." I bite my lower lip, I'm really nervous. "I'm thinking what kind of response to say yes..." I said frankly. He is chuckling after hearing my stupid answer. Of course, he is laughing! Why did I have to be so honest?

"Can I come closer?"

"Sure..." I answer; my voice is really soft because somehow my throat is suddenly dry and unable to speak louder. Feeling scared that he couldn't catch my answer, I also give him a nod.

Jake is walking slowly toward me; it feels like he is being carefully walking to me to not scare me out. When there is close gap between us, after switching off his flashlight, he is standing idly for a while. My face is so close with his chest, I don't know what to do so I'm just standing still and waiting for his arms. Then I could feel one of his arm is wrapping around my back and pulling me closer to him, soon he is also putting another arm to me and embracing me really tight.

With his body is pressing against mine, my body is growing with the warmth. It feels so good and it's like the sun bathed my skin with its light. I didn't even realise since when I'm putting my arms around his waist, but I'm already doing it with my head is leaning on his chest. I can feel Jake's also resting his head on top of my head and his hug is getting tighter than before.

"It's not like I don't want you to be worried at me," his voice sounds so calm and tender, but since I'm resting my head on his chest, I could listen to his chest that beating really fast. "You have to put yourself in danger for long enough. And now, I want you to look after yourself more than you look after anyone else, especially me."

"Then how about you? You also put yourself in danger by being here. I also don't want you to risk your safety." I feel like I want to tear up but I'm trying so hard to hold it and without my awareness, I'm snuggling into his chest even more.

"It's different. I told you, I cannot allow you to put yourself in danger. But once again, I failed. And the only thing that matter right now is to focus on your well-being more and protect you." One of his arms is now in the back of my head, it might be covered by hoodie but I can sense he is caressing my head there.

"But I have to allow you to do so?" didn't like with what I have just heard, I look up and glare at him. My eyes somehow are blurry, it is not a good sign.. I will probably slip some tears soon. "Why don't the same rules apply to the both of us?" I frowned.

"I told you, I have made the decision to protect you at any cost." He lean his forehead to mine, we are staring into each other's eyes for a while before Jake is closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "You know, I have been on the run for four years. During this time, my life has changed completely. I lost everything in a single night. My home. My identity. Every single person in my life. There was nobody I could trust and I did not want to." When he spoke, it sounded like his voice is full of sorrow. Every time he explains, I could sense my tear is slipping from my eyes.