Nineteen

What is your Hogwarts house?

Emery stared in shock. Watched as the blood stained Allison's clean white shirt a deep red, watched as the blade of power lacerated skin, watched as she choked on her own blood and fell to the floor, watched as Vanya stared in shock, watched the guilt wash over her, watched as she caught Emery watching, watched as she darted away. And worst of all, Emery watched himself stand there, frozen and unmoving as the fight left Allison and she went still.

The door burst open and Klaus and Diego ran through, Luther at the lead as he fell to his knees beside Allison. His hands ghosted over her form, mouth agape and eyes wide as he shook his head in disbelief.

There was a dull ringing in Emery's ears that made it sound like he was underwater trying to hear everyone else speak and Allison's last words echoed around the room- around his mind 'I heard a rumour' followed by Vanya crying out, 'I said go!' Over and over they repeated as Luther nursed Allison in her arms and Diego shouted instructions and Five looked from Emery to Allison to Emery and back again. The ringing never subsided, even as a Five tugged him through the door and back into the car, even as they sped through the night, the car filled with shouts that never once dulled but never once came into focus.

He seemed to be stuck in a daze. A moment between time where he was there but not fully, stuck between being present physically, mentally, emotionally. Duly, he looked down at his hands, the throbbing painful and incessant. Each stab of his heartbeat rushing through them somehow worse than the last. 'I heard a rumour' the words echoed through his mind as he looked at the scorched skin, the blisters and blood caking the skin, ripping the layers off even after the act had been done.

Absorb it.

Light is in everything.

I heard a rumour.

I said go!

Absorb it. Absorb it. Absorb it.

"She suffered a severe laceration to her larynx. One of you will need to give blood." A voice said. Grace, his mind registered.

"I will." Several voices rang out all at once.

Emery blinked. He was in the academy, standing in the archway. In front of him, everyone was gathered around Allison that had been set up on an operation table. Grace and Pogo were there now and a bandage was on Allison's throat, stitched and sealed. He looked down and saw his own hands were bandaged too, the ends tucked loosely in as if it had been rushed but still done in a way that was familiar. Five must have done it.

"I'm doing it." Luther said, stepping forward.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, dear boy." Pogo said. "Your blood is more compatible with mine."

"Hey, don't swear it. I— I got this, big guy." Klaus said. "I— I love needles."

"Master Klaus. You're blood is... how shall I saw this? Too polluted."

"Move. Yeah, I'll do it." Diego said, coming forward. Grave held the needle up and the man only lasted a second longer in which time he took one look at the sharp edge, whimpered, and fainted.

Pogo took one look and nodded. "Stick him." He said.

Emery had never seen Diego this compilable. But then again, he was passed out unconscious. Regardless, they got the blood they needed and fed it into Allison through a tube. It was only when Grace seemed her stable enough did everyone else haltingly disperse in time. Luther remained by the girls side vigilantly and Emery knew he wasn't going to leave any time soon.

Sighing, he turned away and trekked up the steps, stepping into the nearest washroom and turning on the lights as he shut and locked the door behind him. He squinted upon the onslaught of brightness and waved a hand to dim them, a habit of nature that had become so easy it was like second nature to him but when he did so, the lights sparked and a pain went through his hands so intense it felt as if he had been burned. But he hadn't. He knew what it felt like. This was nothing in comparison. The lights flickered and then he was submerged into darkness.