Milan was set to leave for college in a few months. And he was going to live in the dorms. Leo still wasn't sure about what he was doing to do. He had been looking online for jobs in the city, but he didn't have any luck so far.

"We'll figure it out."

"We will." Milan's voice was confident.

"I love you."

"I love you," Milan paused. "Goodnight."

"See you in a few hours."

~~~

"Leonel MacElroy!"

"Milan Seong!"

"Quinn Geller!"

One by one, their names were announced and they walked up to the stage to collect their diplomas. Milan was very close to being the valedictorian, but Delilah Halstead got the title by the skin of her teeth.

Milan didn't mind much though. Sure, it sucked a little, but Delilah was hardworking and a better all-rounder. Milan was happy for her, and cheered once her speech was over.

Milan walked over to his mom, hugging her. He could see Leo talking with his family just a few feet away, and he knew he'd have to introduce his mom to them. But before he could bring that up, he felt someone tap his shoulder. Milan turned around, grinning widely when he came face to face with his brother.

Milan had texted both his brother and his dad about his graduation ceremony. Whereas his dad didn't reply, Ben said he had work that day. It was a bummer, but Milan didn't try to think much about it. It was sad that his father didn't show up, but at least the people that mattered were there.

"You're here!" Milan exclaimed as he hugged Ben, making the older chuckle.

"Of course," Ben replied as he pulled away, ruffling Milan's hair in the process. "How could I miss it?"

"Thanks," Milan smiled. He really was happy to see Ben.

But then it hit him, and his lips turned into a frown as he glanced back to look at his mom, who was standing there with a blank, unreadable expression.

"Ben," she spoke up. It had been years since she last saw her eldest son. "It's ni— I'm sorr— I don't even know what to begin with."

"Maybe..." Ben cleared his throat as he spoke awkwardly. "Maybe you can think about it and we can talk over dinner?"

"Yes!" She replied without a second thought as she nodded eagerly. "Yes, of course! I would love that."

Milan turned back to face his brother again, who seemed a little at edge, but he nodded nonetheless. Milan smiled, before mouthing a 'thank you'. Ben understood what he said, and just shrugged casually in response.

~~~

Leo jogged over to Kai and Roan, who were standing with Maya and his Uncle Kingsley. He hadn't expected his uncle to show up, but was glad that he did.

"I'm so proud of you," Kai stated as he patted Leo's shoulder.

Leo looked at the older man, and before he could overthink his actions— he pulled him in for a hug. Kai was surprised, to say the least. Leo had never initiated any form of affection towards him. Nothing more than awkward side hugs. Kai couldn't help but feel emotional as he hugged back his son, rather tightly.

After Leo pulled back, he extended the same courtesy to Roan, who was less emotional about it but still happy.

"My favorite teenager, all set to go into the adult world," Kingsley sighed dramatically. "I feel old."

"Where's your—"

"He had a meeting, he really wanted to make it though. He sends his love," Kingsley interrupted. He took out an envelope from his pocket, handing it to Leo as he spoke. "And here's your graduation present."

"What is this?" Leo furrowed his brows as he opened the envelope, to find a letter inside.

"You mentioned you didn't want to go to college and that you seem to have a penchant for the culinary arts so... I got you an apprenticeship at one of my restaurants." Kingsley said, before giving Leo a sly wink. "With a decent stipend, of course."

"Thank you," Leo replied softly as he read the letter over and over again. "Seriously. Thank you so much."

Kingsley waved his hand dismissively. This was another example for Leo. To show that family wasn't just people that shared the same blood as you, but it is the ones that listen to you, care about you, and stand by you.

"And we pitched in to sort out your living situation," Roan said, handing Leo a set of keys. Leo knew the husbands had an apartment in the city, but he still looked at the keys with confusion.

"Isn't there a tenant who—"

"His lease was up last month. We've refurbished the place since then. I think you'll like it." Kai smiled.

"I'm just so... I don't know what to say..."

"No need," Roan said. "Just don't forget to call and visit home once in a while, yeah?"

"Absolutely." Leo nodded.

"Leo!" Quinn called for him, waving their hand in the air, their other arm was hooked around Milan's. "We need pictures!"

Leo chuckled as he jogged over to the two. Kai took out his phone, so did Milan's mom as they started clicking pictures of the three. Leo could see Ben introducing himself to Roan, and Kingsley bending down and helping Maya sit up on his shoulders.

Amongst the laughs and the chatter of the field, Leo glanced to his side to look at Milan, wrapping an arm around him as they posed for pictures. Milan glanced up at Leo, a soft look on his face. Leo had a rough childhood, and he spent years feeling alone. But as he looked at his boyfriend, he smiled, and for the first time in forever, he knew that everything would be okay.

***

fin.

the epilogue will be up soon.