Chapter Eight

"As a thank you for standing up for us, I hereby relieve you of your side of the bet," Quinn said, "you don't have to come to the Halloween dance if you don't want to."

"A bet is a bet," Leo replied, resting his cheek on his palm as he spoke.

"So, that means you'll still come?" Quinn grinned happily.

"Sure," Leo shrugged lightly, "but no promises on bringing a date."

"Aw," Quinn pouted, "do you want me to set you up with someone? Because Milan here could tell you what an awesome matchmaker I am. Infact, I already have someone in mind for you—"

"Nope, your matchmaking skills are not needed here," Milan interrupted Quinn before they could spill the beans.

"Interesting," Leo muttered.

Quinn opened their mouth to speak, but before they could the classroom door opened and Mr. Sorkin walked in. Their last two Mathlete meeting were cancelled since their teacher was sick, but now he was finally back.

"Afternoon, everyone," Mr. Sorkin greeted, "Quinn. I see you're here again."

"Don't mind me, I'll blend in with the wall, you won't even know I'm here," Quinn smiled as they got up from the chair they were sitting on to go and sit at the back of the classroom.

"I highly doubt that, but okay," Mr. Sorkin mumbled before clearing his throat and addressing the four team members, "there's a math tournament at Brownhill High in a month, and we'll be participating. So, no goofing around in meetings anymore. I want you all to focus."

"Yes, sir!" Jai exclaimed, making the teacher sigh.

"Okay, so I got these worksheets from last year's—"

The meeting went on for an hour. Once it ended, everyone left to go back home. Whenever Quinn crashed the meetings, Milan went home in the bus with them, instead of going in Leo's car. Leo was the first one out of the door, rushing as soon as the clock struck four.

Milan was packing his stuff, ready to leave when he noticed that Leo had left his worksheet that they were supposed to finish at home and give to Mr. Sorkin in class tomorrow. Milan grabbed the paper, keeping it in his back as he rushed out with Quinn to find the older boy.

Leo's car wasn't in the parking lot, which meant that he had already left. The two friends waited for bus, talking about gossip from here and there till the topic somehow ended up being about Leo.

"He left his worksheet in class," Milan stated.

"You can always just go over to his place and give it to him," Quinn casually replied as the two grabbed empty seats on the bus.

"Are you crazy? I'm not doing that," Milan said.

"Why not? It's not really that big of a deal," Quinn retorted, "he'll probably thank you for it. Maybe he'll invite you in. Take you to his room. Oh my god, what if he—"

"Can you not?" Milan all but whined, "knowing Leo, he'll probably snatch it from my hand and then shut the door on my face."

"Yeah, that's more likely to happen," Quinn sighed, "but I can still dream!"

"Eh, I think I'll just let it be," Milan said. Quinn didn't push further, and the topic of conversation changed.

Once Milan was in his room, he sat on his study desk and took out his homework, getting to it immediately. Hours passed as he studied, only taking a break in between to watch random cat videos on YouTube to clear his mind. The empty worksheet that sat on the edge of desk still plagued his mind, but he just ignored it.