Music

(Part two of Hairdresser.)

Leorio scribbled notes down, copying word for word from the textbook until he had memorized the vocab definition. Then moved on the next one. It was getting increasingly difficult to concentrate, someone next door had decided to play the violin at 5pm.

School had only been in session for a week but this person had managed to mess up his study time with band practice every single day. Sunday it was piccolo, Monday it was guitar, tuesday violin, Wednesday it was marimbas, and Thursday was piano (but the volume was down so it was probably an electric keyboard.)

Friday was the only day of silence, but Leorio spent all of Saturday with the boys so he didn't know if there was music.

Leorio had his hands over his ears, but then he was focusing on that rather than his homework. But if he unplugged his ears then he'd focus on the music. Sure, he could just find a study room, the apartment complex provided those. But this instrument wacko could also use a private room! Places made especially for things like this!

Leorio got up. He had to demand silence. This constant racket was just inconsiderate!

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Chrollo, his roommate drawled while reading a book.

Leorio ignored him. He'd been a total asshole and trashed the apartment on their very first weekend. Outrageous party, tons of people, no warning. Several items had been stolen during the event, so Leorio spent a large chunk of his Sunday relocating his belongings.

Leorio stepped into the hall and followed the sound. It was actually around the corner, barely out of the line of sight from his front door.

He marched over and knocked harshly on the door. The music fell silent. He heard muffled movement.

"Can I help you?" The voice came from behind him.

Leorio whipped around to see Kurapika the hairdresser pulling out his keys, carrying a bag of groceries. Both men were stunned with recognition.

Behind Leorio, the door opened, and a short guy with brown hair and glassy eyes stood there. "Hello? Is something the matter?"

"Pairo, I told you not to open the door for strangers!" Kurapika scolded.

Leorio's face dropped. He's blind. I was about to yell at a blind guy?!

"You're not a stranger," The guy in the doorway, Pairo, said. "Who's with you?"

"Um, this is... Leon?"

"Leorio." He corrected. "Sorry about bothering you, I was just wondering if you could keep down the volume a bit."

"Oh, I'm sorry! I had no idea you could hear it out there, I thought we'd already put up the sound foam in my practice room." Pairo apologized, which caused Kurapika to make a face.

"Ah, yeah that's actually my bad." Kurapika admitted.

"No, I should apologize. I should really learn to mind my own business." Leorio rubbed his neck. "Can I make it up to you? I can help you put up the foam."

Pairo beamed. "That is such a kind offer! Kurapika, lead him in and give him a grand tour." He shuffled back and opened the door wider.

Kurapika went inside first, holding the groceries. He set them on the counter and turned back to see Leorio entering behind him.

"How tall are you, Leorio?" Pairo asked, closing the door.

"Um. I'm 6'4." Leorio said, being careful not to bump into anything.

"Ooh. Excellent."

Pairo went to his music room to wait while Kurapika gave Leorio a half-assed tour of their apartment.

"And that one's my room." Kurapika waved over to it.

Leorio almost made a comment about wanting to be in his bedroom, but he decided it wasn't worth embarrassing himself over. He followed Kurapika to Pairo's music room, and his eyes widened when he saw just how many instruments were lined up on the walls and the floor.

"Pairo is on scholarship for his perfect pitch." Kurapika smirked.

"I am not! I tested into the program just like everyone else, and got reduced tuition because I'm blind." Pairo laughed. "You make it sound like all I had to do was guess some notes correctly and they begged me to attend this school."

Kurapika gave Leorio a pointed look. "Anyway, the box of foam is over here."

Leorio and Kurapika spent almost an hour lining the walls with foam and cutting smaller pieces to cover every inch. Pairo just sat on the piano bench and joked with them.

After all was done and they left Pairo to continue his practice, Kurapika and Leorio went to the kitchen. Kurapika unloaded the groceries, and Leorio stood awkwardly on the other side of the island bar.

"So. How did you meet Pairo?" Leorio asked, trying to look casual.

"I grew up with him. He's my best friend." Kurapika smiled while rearranging the eggs in the fridge.

"Oh. Was he always-"

"Always blind?" Kurapika interrupted. "You're not the first to ask. But if you're so curious, you should ask him over some dinner."

"Message received." Leorio said. "Sorry."

"It's alright. I just... I get sick of people thinking that's the only thing that makes him special." Kurapika brings out some break to make lunch. "Just because he's blind, doesn't mean he's not a person."

"Yeah. Sorry." Leorio rubbed his nose. "Um. Can I get your number?"

Kurapika just looked at him. "Seriously? Right after I reprimanded you? Were you even listening?"

"I was listening!"

"I'll make you a deal. You go on a date with Pairo, then you can go on a date with me."

"Uh... okay." Leorio stared. "Can I at least get your number?"

"Leave." Kurapika said, finishing up his sandwich. "I'll tell Pairo to expect you at 8pm on Tuesday. Be here."

"Okay." Leorio left their apartment, confused and a little stunned. Kurapika lives here? He has a blind roomate? I'm going on a date with that roommate? What?

-

Let's pretend I didn't post part two a literal year later.