Wire

Uriah pulls back after a while and rests his forehead on mine.

We stay that way for a little while, before Uriah's eyes once again divert to the brownies and he hones in on one.

I sigh and roll my eyes. "You and your food..." I mutter under my breath.

He looks at me with puppy dog eyes and says "What?"

I look at my watch: it's almost eleven. "Wow, it's late, and I have work tomorrow..." I say.

Uriah looks saddened. An idea pops into his head and he says, "Wait! One more thing!"

"Ugh, what now?" I sigh. I'm tired and supposed to be in bed.

"You'll see." he says with a wink. I don't have time to respond before he grabs my hand and takes off, his brownie still in his hand.

He swings open the door and runs out of the apartment, practically dragging me behind him.

"Uriah... wait, slow down!" I yelp as he sprints down the narrow Dauntless paths. He doesn't listen and continues to run.

He stops abruptly and knocks on a door. It's Will and Christina's flat.

Christina opens the door, wide eyed. "Dude, it's 11 o'clock, why are you here?" she asks Uriah.

Uriah has that wild glint in his eyes, the one where you just know he's about to do something stupid.

"Zip lining." he says. Christina stares at him for a bit before replying with: "No."

Uriah pleads with her before she finally gives in. He also managed to convince Will to come, and together we head toward the Pire.

The cold is ice against my skin. The outside air is freezing, and I don't have a jacket. Christina is worse, wearing a tank top.

Uriah takes off his hoodie and puts it around my shoulders. I smile at him and push open the doors.

We get into the lift and Will presses the 100th floor button. The lift zooms up and my ears pop.

It takes a while to reach the top, and Christina has started to get crabby. "Why did you bring us here, I'm tired!" she whines.

"Oh, get over it. It'll be fun." Uriah says with a wave of his hand. Christina pouts and folds her arms.

I hear a ping and the lift suddenly stops. I feel a jolt as I'm thrown forward. I grab Uriah's arm for support.

The doors slide open, and we approach the ladder. I climb up it swiftly, anticipating the zip line.

I haul myself onto the roof and the cold air hits me. The skyline is beautiful, like someone has painted all the stars.

"Help." I hear Uriah say. I turn round to see him flopping through the opening like a walrus.

"Help me. Please!" he says in mock desperation, putting on a bit of a show. He flops about on the floor, Christina totally losing it on the ladder.

I roll my eyes and grab his arm. I drag him up and he gives me a winning smile. I sigh and peck him on the lips.

"Christina, hurry up!" Will says, frustrated.
Christina is on the ladder, laughing her head off.

"I know I'm funny, but really?" Uriah says, his hands on his hips. He takes Christina's hand and pulls her up onto the floor.

"Finally..." I hear Will mutter, as he climbs up the ladder himself.

Uriah finds the pile of black slings, and drags them to the edge of the roof, checking each one's sturdiness.

"There's a big mat at the bottom, so all you have to do is remember to pull the brake." he explains.

"Will, you go first, as you have to put up with Christina every day." says Uriah jokingly, earning himself a punch on the arm from Christina.

"Okay." says Will, climbing into the sling. Uriah tightens the buckles and I help him hook Will onto the line.

Finally, everything is ready.
"3,2,1, GO!" shouts Uriah, and pushes Willl down. We hear him scream on the way.

"It's way too cold, can we go inside for a bit? Christina asks, shivering. Uriah nods and says: "Tris, you coming?"

I shake my head. "I'd rather stay here." I am fine, what with Uriah's hoodie. Christina nods and descends the stairs with him.

I lean against the wall and think. ( In the movie, there was a little tower on the roof ) I think about what has happened this week. This week has probably been the most eventful of my life.

I walk around the little tower mindlessly. I'm not really paying attention to anything.

I slam into something solid and look up. What I see makes me tense up.

Four.

I turn on my heel and walk away. I will not make contact with him. I must ignore him at all costs.

I climb down the ladder briskly. "What's up?" Christina says. I shrug and reply with "I got cold."

For a few minutes we say nothing. I wonder what Four was doing up there. Four hates heights. I should know.

Why would he be in a place that terrifies him? What in his sick, masochistic mind would make him do that? I don't know.

"Let's go back up." I say. Will must be confused down there, and probably bored out of his mind.

"You ready, Tris?" Uriah says, attaching my sling to the wire.

Nausea churns in my stomach and I respond with a nervous nod.

I catch a glimpse of Four, and something feels wrong. I know something is wrong.

No, it can't be. What could go wrong? I brush it off as nerves and prepare myself.

"GO!" Uriah yells and shoves my sling away from the edge. Wind hits my face, making my eyes water.

My hair flies back and I feel the adrenaline burning through my veins. The line gets steeper, and I duck to avoid getting hit by a sign post.

It feels the same as in initiation, washing all my worries away. I forget about Four, I forget about everything except the glorious feeling inside.

Soon enough, I see the blurred line of the wall. It surges towards me, and Will comes into sight.

"Pull the brake!" I hear him holler, and I fumble to grasp it.

I pull down hard on it, but nothing happens. I pull again, harder, yet the sling continues to zoom towards the end.

Something was wrong. I knew it. I brace myself, pulling as hard on the brake as I can, but to no avail.

This is it. I hear Will shout and nothing more.

I don't hear my own screams, or anything. Nothing except the sickening crack I hear as I slam into the wall.

The world falls silent.

Dead.

A/N
Sorry for not updating Pineapples, I didn't have much inspiration 😔

What did you think of this chapter? What do you think happened with the zip line?

Please comment (but don't throw anything at me)

This chapter is dedicated to Lilmoonlight for coming up with the idea for it.

Remember to vote and comment!

Thanks for reading 😄