Chapter 4, Part 2 - Felix

'Open your mouth, damn it!' Felix grunted. Firefoot tossed her head against the leather straps of the bridle and kept her teeth clenched together. Geoffrey stopped sweeping the barn and leant on his broom to watch the struggle. Felix bared his teeth and grabbed the horse's forelock, forcing her head down. She whipped the backs of his knees with her tail instead and stamped on his foot. She shook free of the bridle and circled her stable.

Felix whispered several oaths and glared at Geoffrey when he let out a chuckle. It had been a quest in itself to herd the mare into the barn in the first place. Firefoot flicked her tail from side to side and laid her ears back. She appeared to be scowling. Tightening his grip on the bridle, Felix snorted and started forwards. Firefoot extended her wings halfway and rose up onto her hind legs. He ignored her and wrapped one arm over her neck when she landed, forcing it down.

She squealed and Felix worked the bit between her jaws. She chomped on the metal and tossed her head while his shaking fingers tugged at the buckles. When he let her go, she paced the stable and kicked at the walls. Felix leant on his knees.

'Maybe she will learn some respect in time,' said Geoffrey before he picked up his broom. 'You have to get on her back now.'

Felix looked at Firefoot. She glared back at him, head held high and ears back. Heaving a sigh, he snatched up her reins and tugged her out of the stable. Her legs flailed in protest and Geoffrey hopped out of the way of a kick. Her tail battered the walls on either side, rousing whinnies of annoyance from the other horses. Felix growled at her and pulled more firmly on the reins. She bared her teeth in response, stuck out her head and took short, stiff steps toward the barn doors. Geoffrey shook his head as he swept.

Out on the grass Firefoot snatched at the bit and pulled Felix off his feet. He muttered a curse and yanked back once he regained his balance. Looping the reins over her head, he maintained a strong grip on them underneath her chin while he moved to her wing in search of a way up. Her hind quarters danced away before he could touch her.

'Don't be like this,' he groaned, following her in a circle. Her ears pricked and a glint appeared in her eye. Felix thought she was laughing at him.

How did Blaise do it? He seemed to simply leap onto the horse's back and she would let him. Sometimes he would give her a tap with his spurs if she started to argue, but Felix didn't have any. He glanced around and found the grazing horses watching them. Pulling on her reins, he dragged her to the nearest furze bush. Lining her up beside it, he tried again.

Firefoot attempted to sidestep his reach but the branches prickled her side. She snorted and laid her ears back. Ducking under a wing, Felix reached over her bare back and heaved himself up. As soon as his feet left the ground, Firefoot started forwards and he struggled to settle himself. Her wings pinned his legs to her sides and her bony spine dug into his groin.

'Ow-!' He hissed as she picked up a trot. Hurrying to gather the reins while trying to find a position that was comfortable, it wasn't until she broke into a canter that he realised she had no intention of obeying him.

While his pinned legs went some way to help balance him, he had to grasp a handful of her midnight mane to keep upright. She bounded across the grass, her rocking body jostling him in every direction. His heart thumped in time to his bouncing ribcage. Oblivious to the tension in her mouth, she stretched out her neck and charged.

The wind whipped beneath them, tore at his hair and burned his cheeks. Felix struggled to catch his breath and his vision blurred. She leapt a dike and half extended her wings.