Chapter 26: Distractions & Jewels

Start from the beginning

"Lucas, what time are you taking Max to your picnic spot?" Granny asked through the mind link. "I need to know that way I can have to food ready at a decent time."

"6pm sharp, Granny", I replied.

"Then I'll start cooking around 4", she said. "Thank you."

"No problem", I said cheerfully, then I felt her close the link. By now, Sam and I were approaching the path from the lake to the waterfall. By the looks of the sunrise, it looked like we were making good time. But getting over confident could set us back, so it's best we do the job quickly and efficiently. After a few minutes, we made it to the clearing with the waterfall and carefully sat the supplies on the ground along with the ladder.

"How do you want to set this up?" Sam asked. "This is for your mate, not mine. So you're the one who's going to make the decisions with this." I scanned the small U-shaped clearing, and I began visioning on how I wanted it to look like once we set the decorations up.

"I also want to see how Max would want this set up", I said. "So I'm trying to think about where he would put the decorations if he was planning this." With one more quick look of the area, I finally came up with a good plan.

"I want the banner to be hanging above the opening to the path, but facing the waterfall", I said. "And since there are two long strands of the fairy lights in the package, I think it would look good have one strand on each side of the banner. That way they will spread light all through the clearing, but it will also make the banner pop. We can set the wireless speakers against the bottom of a few trees, and have them spread out like surround sound. I can play music from my phone through the speakers."

"Shit, how are you so good at planning stuff like that?" Sam asked. I chuckled.

"To be honest, I'm just winging it", I revealed. "I'm hoping Max likes it. His uncertain response is making me and my wolf slightly anxious." Sam scoffed.

"Lucas, you are over-thinking this way too much", he said, firmly. "Max will love what you do for his birthday no matter what, because he loves you more than anyone or anything, or else he wouldn't have thrown me the other say when he thought I hurt you. Now, quit being anxious, and help me set up these damn fairy lights." I lightly chuckled, and I picked up the package of fairy lights. Sam was right. I was over-thinking this, too much. I know Max will love this, but there will always be that shread of doubt or fear that he won't. However, I'll use those emotions to go above and beyond and prove myself wrong.

I was now tearing open the package of lights, and realization decided to pop into my head that that moment.

"We forgot to get tape to hold the lights in place", I said, a bit frustrated. "I'll be right back. Start on banner while I'm gone, I shouldn't be long." I shifted into my wolf and began sprinting down the path. Around ten minutes later, the pack house came into view. I shifted back and I entered the house, sneakily going up to my office.

Once I got the tape, which was invisible tape of course, I started making my way back to the front door. That was, until a little ball of intense energy slammed into my legs.

"Hi!" Mason shouted, joyfully. "What are you doing?" How was he up this early in the morning? I swear, when I was his age, all I did was want to sleep! Damn... I sounded old... I'm not even nineteen!! But anyways, back to his question. I obviously couldn't tell him I was giving Max a surprise, since he could all too well blurt it out to Max on accident. So, I chose a different approach. Tell a version of the truth.

"I'm getting Max a present", I said. "It's his birthday today, and I need to go and get his present." Mason's eyes widened with pure delight.

"Can I go tell happy birthday please?" he asked, bouncing up and down. "He's still sleeping, but can I please go tell him?" I smirked, knowing I would later regret this, but it would be worth it.