"You didn't have to bring up Varian." Rapunzel looked back at her.

"I didn't, but it was funny seeing his reaction anyway." Cassandra grinned.

--

He hated to admit it, but Cassandra had a point. There was no way he was going to be able to beat the kid on intellect, so he'd have to prove himself in action, instead. So, he put himself through grueling training with Cassandra's father, who clearly was making this business very personal.

Cassandra and Maximus, for whatever reason, apparently decided to observe as he was training. He tried not to let it get to him, though. After all, he had his pride and, possibly, Rapunzel's attention at stake here!

"Alright, maggots, line up!" The Captain yelled, and Eugene lined up with two other recruits. "This boot camp will push you to your very limits. By the time I'm through, you'll be sweating tears and crying sweat! But, if you make it through camp and pass the final exam..." he turned then and laughed, "and, for some of you, that's a highly unlikely if," he walked down the line in front of them, "you will receive probationary trainee status."

The Captain had a way of using a lot of big words, but Eugene guessed that meant that he would have the job, if he didn't screw up.

"Are there any questions, before you begin your descent into hell?" He asked, turning t othem.

"Captain, sir," Eugene said, "I know we've had our differences, but I'd just like to say—"

"I said 'questions', not pathetic attempts to earn my favor!" The Captain said, cutting him off. "You are a loathsome, pathetic excuse for a human being, and it is my full intention to make your life a living nightmare!"

Eugene shrank back a bit but refused to be cowed. "You know," he said pleasantly, "I've never said this to another man, but you have handsome teeth."

With that, it was time for training. He excelled above the rest, but the odds were stacked unfairly against him personally, with the Captain deliberately making things difficult and tricking him into making mistakes. By the end of the day, he was exhausted, frustrated, and humiliated.

But, at least Cassandra and Maximus were impressed. That was something. And at least he could take comfort in being better than a fourteen-year-old homewrecker, not that he'd ever actually challenge a kid to any kind of fighting match. Maybe an obstacle course, might be funny to see him struggle to climb up a wall like he'd been doing all day.

Supposedly he was at the coronation, but he couldn't remember seeing him there. Between Lady Caine and Rapunzel's hair reveal and everything else that happened that day, he was barely aware the kid was ever there aside from when he first stepped out of the carriage and when he was sitting at the table with him. And he'd been pretty quiet then and had done nothing to indicate at all that he was planning to steal his girlfriend.

He groaned into the pillow on his bed.

"Ready to give up?"

He looked over at Cassandra leaning against his door. "Oh, you'd love that, wouldn't you?"

"Honestly?" She leaned against the other side, examining her gloves. "I don't care."

Eugene sighed. "Look, it doesn't matter anyway, okay? No matter how hard I try on that final tomorrow, your dad will cook up some cheap shot to make sure I fail!" He brought his hands to his head, then dropped them back down to his lap.

Why did he expect any less? The man hated him!

"He wants me out." He swiped at the air, looking at her. "End of story."