Enemy

"These aren't mine." Varian murmured as he looked at the black rocks that had been appearing on the outskirts of the kingdom, near the town.

Most of the town had cleared out to go to the Goodwill Festival and Quirin had decided now was a good time to take Varian out on patrol with him and Adira, as part of his training.

"Can you get rid of it?" Adira asked. "Before anyone else sees it?"

Varian looked at her. "I'm not sure." He looked back at the rocks, then reached out a hand to touch them, closing his eyes as he did. Quirin and Adira watched as his streak started to glow before it spread out to the rest of his hair, his hair turning blue with a white streak, before he moved his other hand to press against it, his brow furrowed. "It's...the Moonstone." He moved his hand away and turned back to Quirin. "Something about a countdown, and the Sundrop. I-I'm not sure what it means."

Quirin shrugged. "Perhaps the Moonstone will deign to explain it to us as time goes on. I'm sure that it means her no harm, though."

Varian nodded. "I know it doesn't." He looked towards the castle. "Still, we should talk to the Royal Family about this."

Quirin and Adira explained concerned looks. "Well, not today. There's the Goodwill Festival, after all." Quirin reminded him.

"You're right." Varian nodded and turned back to the black rock before hefocused, trying to make it lower. To his surprise, it didn't lower back into the ground. "...Looks like I can't do anything about it yet. I'll work on it." He promised, turning back to them as his hair and eyes stopped glowing.

Adira came over to braid his hair for him. "Maybe a little praying to the Moon wouldn't hurt, either." She remarked as she carefully sectioned his hair gently. When she was done, she stepped back and then they turned to Quirin.

"Let's continue our patrol." Quirin nodded. "We'll do some praying tonight."

They nodded and walked on into the woods. They could hear the sounds of the festival as the gopher-grabbers chased the creature into the woods and they climbed up into the trees to avoid being seen in their armor as they saw an old man and a woman run by after the gopher.

"Was that...?" Varian murmured, hopping down and following them.

"Varian, get back here." Quirin hissed, but he ignored him. Quirin gave Adira a long-suffering look before they got back down to follow him.

--

Varian held his spear tightly as he watched Rapunzel throw off her disguise wig - she was really good at hiding her hair under those things, wasn't she? - and dove down to help a guy that had been bad-mouthing her moments before. She swung her hair out to latch it around something and then swung down to save the guy, the two of them collapsing on the riverbank together, safe and sound.

"Princess Rapunzel?" The old man realized.

Rapunzel laughed nervously. "Surprise."

They got up and the old man walked over to sit on a rock. "Your Majesty, you went through all of this just to win my favor?"

"I know. I know. It's a little crazy, but..." Rapunzel said as she tied her hair up in its usual braid, "I just had to know why you booed me."

Varian brought a hand to his heart; she was so pure.

"Fine, you wanna know why I booed?" The old man asked.

Rapunzel knelt in front of him. "Uh-huh. Uh-huh."

"The seal." The old man said firmly.

'The...animal?' Varian raised an eyebrow.

"Wait. The Goodwill seal?" She asked in confusion.