Chapter 12

Alex slammed into his house ignoring the shocked expression of Janice who was coming from the back. Stomping up the stairs he slammed into his room. Throwing himself on the bed, he stared at the ceiling.

How was he going to protect Jessie from his brother, he'd felt that power before, the leaked had affected every witch. Considering their kind could be easily influenced by it. A witch with great power could unwittingly draw to them those who'd willingly follow him or her. Some were so affected that they found themselves becoming lovers to those with greater power.

 He rolled over agitated, if Jessie was the source of power that everyone had been looking for. He couldn't let his brother know or he'd tried to pull her into their world to use her.

Sitting up, he jerked his eyes to the door when Janice entered. Her green eyes narrowed in worry, "Are you okay?"

He nodded, shifting his legs, over the edge, "I'm fine," forcing his face vacant of emotion, "How was the banquet?"

Janice shrugged opening the door fully, leaning against the door jam, "The usual, you're brother grabbed the Republican mayor by the throat and shook him." Rolling her eyes, "Figuratively speaking of course, but he'll grease their voting palms with green."

Alex nodded distractedly, "Has there been any more noise from the Worthington's?"

Janice stiffened, pushing herself up, "I thought you weren't interested in that business."

Alex mentally cursed, before he recovered by saying, "I found my familiar, and I've been thinking joining the family business isn't so bad."

Janice eyes narrowed in suspicion, "wha-."

She was cut off by his brother, who came up behind her, his blue eyes narrowed, "Alex, are you telling the truth?"

Alex, mind moved in lightning speed, he'd never really had any hate for his brother business. It just didn't involve him, due to school. But if he was going to protect Jessie, would have to know what his brother knew.

Meeting his brother gaze steadily, he nodded, "Yeah, I'm ready."

 Sitting in her chemistry class, Jessie waited for the other students to arrive. Absently swinging her leg back and forth, she read over her notes. Despite her crazy weekend, she'd found her day back at school pretty normal.

Glancing at her cell phone seated in the corner of the desk. Soon to be moved to her book bag. The one thing that could mar her peaceful day was the fact that Alex hadn't called or texted since Friday. It was only two days. It wasn't like he owed her anything, aside from an explanation.

She turned her mind to the class, when the teacher entered.

Later she was on her way to Theatre, when her phone buzzed. Pulling it from her pocket, she narrowed her eyes on the text.

"Won't be around, got virus." – Alex.

Grudgingly, she accepted his reason, and shoved her phone back in her back pocket. Deciding to answer it later after school.

After a week had gone by with no sign, or call from Alex. Jessie blankly ate out of her bag of chips. Elisa watched her, her brow furrowed.

"OH GOD!" Jessie jerked her eyes up, taken aback by Elisa's outburst.

"W-what?" She asked, placing her bag of chips down.

Groaning, Elisa grimaced at her grumpily shoving her trey aside, "Look, I know you're being all emo over Alex."

"What? I'm no-." She attempted to protest.

"Stop," Elisa glared at her, her blue eyes sparking, "Don't lie to me."