Prologue

I jumped high in the air, the wind roaring in my ears. A grin etched on my face at the sound of a horse tumbling to the ground along with its rider, having tripped on the dead tree I had just jumped above. My hooves thudded against the forest ground, sending leaves and dirt to the face of my pursuers, or at least their horses. 

I suddenly took a sharp turn, cheering as another horse stopped before the tree in front of it, sending the rider face-first into it. I laughed and turned my head around, poking my tongue out to the remaining guards. Only a handful was behind me, and they hardly kept up. 

Turning my head back around, my hair got stuck in my face, so I gathered them behind my head, using the elastic I always kept around my right horn to tie them. One of the guards barked orders to his horse, making me wonder if the horse was an enslaved Narnian or if the guard took the strange habit. 

Another quick look behind me gave me my answer. The horse's eyes devoided any sign of emotions. As Trumpkin always said, get treated as an animal long enough and you'll become one. 

I took progressively longer breaths as I started recognizing my surroundings, even if it was a blur. Sometimes, I wondered what would become of me if I didn't have my hooves or lower physic. I would probably be useless to Ninabrik and Trumpkin, although I'm sure trufflehunter would've let me stay. Nonetheless, my stamina and speed were a great addition to our little team. Tasks like these were my specialty, to say the least. 

My eyes searched around for the rocky gap that shouldn't be far, and I saw it, on my left. We were running alongside it. I turned slightly to the right, discreetly turned around, and finally went to my maximum speed, the gap right in front of me. The riders behind me also accelerated, trying to keep up with me but I knew it was no use. 

As soon as they saw the gap in front of me, they pushed their horses even harder in hope of catching me before it arrived. Then, at an alarming speed, I jumped up. Time seemed to freeze as I analyzed the distance I was from the other side, the length and time it would take to arrive compared to what it would take to fall to my death, below, and the speed and momentum it would take the riders to stop in time. 

Satisfied with my thinking, I concentrated on my landing. The hard dirt met my hooves, but all of my muscles had already prepared, and I rolled to the side to stop any injury. I smiled, successful with my performance, and looked to the other side, where the riders had managed to stop before falling, minus one. I stopped myself from looking down, knowing it would be bloody. 

I let a smirk creep to my face, showing off my pointed teeth, and did a curtsey, finishing the chase. I waved goodbye and frolicked away, happy with how it went. 

The way back home was smooth, aside from the little time spent talking with our squirrel neighbor. He was a fine gal, he just didn't know when to stop talking. 

A big patch of mushrooms caught my attention right as I went to open the door. I jogged to it and collected them, thinking about what trufflehunter could cook with them. He was resourceful, to say the least. Once he even made a dessert with maple water, of all things. 

I opened the door, for real this time.

"Trufflehunter!" I called. He responded from the kitchen, shushing me to not wake up our guest. I arrived where he was and stuffed the mushrooms under his nose "Trufflehunter, are these edible?"

He rolled his eyes and sniffed them, used to my anthems "Yes they are. Cut them up, will you? I'm making soup, you found them at the right moment."

I smiled in triumph and got to work, happy that he let me help him. He would usually expel anyone from the kitchen whenever he was the one to cook. Cutting these mushrooms was a blessing, and I intended to treat it as such.