Chapter One

Far across the Atlantic horizon, a thin pink line appeared. Gleefully, Maura grasped Savannah's arm. The two girls had patiently awaited the sunrise. It had been eleven-year-old Maura's idea to sneak out of the house early. Her best friend, Savannah Peyton, had stayed the night at her home.

Maura Caldwell was full of sneaky ideas. Plans constantly swirled in her head. Her most recent obsession was sunrises. Through careful manipulation, she had arranged for Savannah to stay over on a night when her parents were away.

It was still dark when the two girls tiptoed out of the house. Arm in arm, they strolled up the street toward the beach. Perching on a green bench on the top of the dunes, they awaited the dawn. It was a mid-May morning—just weeks before the end of the school year. The summer season would soon begin.

With their heads bent toward each other, the companions spoke in hushed whispers. The beach lay in grey darkness, and the waves eerily broke offshore. Neither girl had ever been on the beach at that hour of the day. The experience sent thrills down their young spines.

"Did you see Doug hit that fly ball yesterday afternoon?" Maura asked, referring to the after-school baseball game. Secretly, she had a crush on Doug Berke—a boy in her class. Only Savannah knew about it.

"Yeah, but don't you think he runs like a girl," Savannah answered to goad her friend. She didn't particularly like Doug, who was too brash. Her heart belonged to Keith Francis.

"Does not," Maura retorted indignantly.

"Does so." Savannah firmly crossed her arms over her budding breasts.

"Not," Maura exclaimed, pouting.

"Shush. We're going to miss it," Savannah remarked as she turned her gaze back to the horizon.

Dismissing the subject, Maura focused on a point far across the Atlantic. Was that a light she saw? Scrutinizing the ocean before her, she watched the small bead of pink expand into a line. Grasping Savannah's arm, she stretched out a trembling finger.

"Dawn," the two girls whispered simultaneously. Briefly, their eyes met, then turned back toward the horizon.

Far in the distance, the pink seemed to throb upon the undulations of the moving sea. As it moved, a slim slice of orange began to appear. Slowly, ever so slowly, the colors stretched upon the salt seawater as they blended then separated. Awestruck, Maura and Savannah grasped hands. A new day was upon them.

Catching hold of the ocean, the sun rose, little by little, into the sky. Pushing the black sky out of the way, a curve of yellow finally peeked its way out of hiding. It seemed to shrug. Then it grasped the blue-black water and heaved itself up a tiny bit more.

The green bench could no longer contain the excited girls. Standing, they dug their toes into the soft sand and watched the sun ease itself above the Atlantic waters. With their arms around each other, Maura and Savannah hugged.

"Wow!" Maura exclaimed as a new day made its debut. Plunking onto the bench, she folded her slim legs beneath her. "It was..." Her young mind fought for the right word. "majestic," she finished.

"Beautiful," Savannah breathed, digging her feet further into the sand. Studiously, she thought of the sun making its slow journey across the sky. Later in the evening, it would repeat its performance on the bayside of the island.

"Now it's over, we better get back," Maura abruptly announced, breaking the spell. Hastily, she tramped away from the beach.

Taking one last look over her shoulder, Savannah followed her friend. She would have liked to stay a little longer. Maura moved too swiftly from one adventure to another. Nothing held her attention for too long. On the other hand, Savannah enjoyed capturing a moment and maintaining it.

A slight figure rose from the front stoop as the girls approached the Caldwell residence. Purposefully, Maura pushed past her little brother.

"Where've you been?" Billy asked, grabbing his sister's arm. "Mom called half an hour ago. I told her I couldn't wake you up. She said she'd call back."

"Not your bizness, bro," Maura curtly responded. Swinging the screen door opened, she stepped inside.

"It's gonna be mom and dad's bizness if they find out," the young boy continued, shadowing his sister into the living room.

"Big deal," his sister responded, rolling her eyes into her head. "You tell them, and I'll twist your arm off." Grabbing the upper portion of Billy's arm, she began to tighten her hand.

"All right, all right, I won't tell. Let go." Billy squirmed beneath the pressure of his sister's fingers. He'd had his arm twisted before and knew how it hurt.

"Better not."

Strolling into the kitchen, Maura took out two bowls, spoons, and a box of Lucky Charms. Plunking them onto the table, she grabbed the milk from the fridge. Indicating a chair for Savannah, the girls began their breakfast.

"What about me?" Billy shouted in indignation.

"Get your own," his sister snapped before turning to her friend.

Paying no notice to the siblings' discourse, Savannah spooned cereal into her mouth. She had a younger brother also—Roger. Their conversations sounded much the same.

"Only three more weeks of school," Savannah stated to turn the discussion. "We have the whole summer ahead of us. Then we go to Middle School."

"Yeah," Maura responded, propping her head in her hand. "Wonder what it will be like to go to school on the mainland."

"We can't ride bikes to school anymore," her companion remarked. "We gotta go on the bus."

"Yeah," sighed Maura.