"I talked to Pierre." I said, breaking the silence but keeping my eyes in front of me. I felt Charles glance at me before turning his head back, not offering a reply in return. "He says you bought the house."

Charles didn't respond immediately and I guess he was thinking over what explanation he could give me because I was surely going to look for one. "It's a nice house." He said and I couldn't help but give him a look. He chuckled in return and moved Echo's reigns, making him gain speed and gallop away from me. I did the same with Midnight until we ended up on top of a hill, Charles stopping by the edge as he patted Echo's mane. I waited for him to speak, admiring the view in front of us that was now clear as day with the sun up and ready. "It's only a two-hour drive from Maranello."

"You could've gotten a house in Maranello if that was your intention."

"The owner was offering it up for a good price."

"We both know that if the price were higher, it wouldn't be a problem for you."

"It would've been expensive to move the piano and simulator."

"Again, we both know that wouldn't be a problem for you."

Charles raised an eyebrow at me and I didn't look away, not giving up. We both know that those reasons weren't the main basis as to why he bought it. He wasn't the type to make impulsive decisions like this and buying a house was not a joke.

"You're not letting this go, are you?" He smirked and I shook my head. Charles hopped off Echo, not bothering to find a branch or tree trunk where he could tie him up. He offered me his hand and I moved my right leg to the other side before taking it, jumping off and my feet landed with a thud on the grass. Charles didn't let go of my hand. "Are you sure you want to hear the truth from me?" He asked, voice low as he let our hands fall to the space between us, fingers still intertwined.

"Definitely."

Charles let go of my hand, pacing around as he placed his hands on his hips. I waited for a few minutes for him to collect his thoughts and after about five minutes of silence, he finally spoke up.

"There are only two reasons why I bought that house. First, it's because that house served as my solace during that one month I spent here. It was a fresh start that I didn't know I needed but I'm grateful for. The only reminder I had of my life in the real world was the simulator and even with that, I was detached with work. I used it for fun and it's been a while since I felt that being an F1 driver was something I loved." I felt myself frown at the heartbreak in his voice. He never told me he felt that way– that the dream he's hoped for endlessly as a kid had turned into a nightmare he wanted to run away from. "And second," Charles took a deep breath, closing his eyes and looking up at the sky before he met my eyes, green irises filled with such emotion that I forgot to breathe for a few seconds. "you– you messed up my life. The whole plan was just for me to take some time off but then I met you and–"

"And I messed up your life?" I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest. "I know I asked for the truth but would it kill you to sugarcoat a little?" I turned around and was about to mount Midnight when Charles grabbed my arm and pulled me back, making me stand closer than I was earlier.

"Let me finish." He said as if he was daring for me to interrupt him again but I kept my mouth shut. "My life is filled with unexpected events, Valentine. One minute I'm living my dream as a Ferrari driver and the next minute I'm losing people left and right. I never realized how chaotic everything was until you came along– until you took the time to actually let me breathe despite not knowing who I was. You were the stability I needed– the person who could mess up my routine only to replace it with something better." His hold on my arm tightened but not enough for it to hurt. My heartbeat was thumping so loud against my chest I feared that he would be able to hear it. "With all the shit that's been going on in my life, I couldn't lose the only stable part of it and that's you. Buying that house meant that I was ready to accept whatever place I could have in your life, be it as a friend, something more, or something less."