Chapter 19: Mr. Davidson

Start from the beginning

A sigh of defeat escaped his mouth and a small smile spread across his face. "You're crazy, you know that?"

Karl responded with a silent laugh. "Call me whatever you want if it makes you feel better. I'll refuse to leave you alone either way. Plus, I've managed to follow you once, so I'm sure I could find you again if you decided to leave."

Sapnap shook his head as his eyes returned to the road. Karl was too kind for this world, was his conclusion. The brunette was once again resting his head against the window, but Sapnap was highly aware that their hands remained on the same place.

He didn't know how he felt about this entire situation. The last thing he wanted was for someone to risk their life for his sake. Yet he felt his heartbeat increasing from the reassuring words and the simple touch. Right now, it didn't matter how the future turned out. All he knew was that Karl's actions had affected him in a way that nothing had before. Karl's determination made him feel appreciated, cared for, and even... loved?

-------------------------

The car stopped outside a bland-looking facility. Both Karl and Quackity had fallen asleep at the end of their journey.

Sapnap took a shivering breath. The situation got his nerves all fucked up.

"Rise and shine, idiots." He shouted, which caused both to jump.

"You little bitch, no sympathy." Quackity whined.

Sapnap scuffed and stepped out of the car. "Bu hu, princess. We got some important stuff to do."

Karl's eyes were glued on the building. Sapnap was apparently not the only one who's nervous, the brunette was picking harshly at his cuticles. He placed his hand on Karl's shoulder and shook slightly. "Everything alright?"

Karl's gaze remained on the building. "Yeah, it's just– George have told me a little bit about his family. His dad's probably a good person, but he seems extremely controlling. And what if he blames us for George's disappearing?"

Then he would be correct. Sapnap thought to himself.

But he gave Karl a reassuring smile and let go of his shoulder. Karl returned the smile weakly and before he knew it, he felt the brunette grabbing his hand. It was unexpected. Sapnap's eyes darted down to their interlocked hands. The gesture seemed oddly intimate to him. Yet, Karl didn't appear to view it as such. So, Sapnap didn't pull away.

----------------------

As they entered the building, they were met with tons of people running around in the building. Sapnap recalled Schlatt claiming that the moment anyone would lay a finger on George, "war" would break out. At the time, it hadn't meant much. But after seeing the amount of people in just one of all the proclaimed labs, it seemed reasonable to believe that Mr. Davidson's influence was bigger than Sapnap had first anticipated.

They spotted something that potentially could be classified as a reception. An elderly woman sat by a computer behind the counter. She, like the rest of the swarm of people, wore a white robe, in similar fashion to the ones that pharmacists usually wore. Her white hair was tightly pulled back into a bun and half-moon shaped glasses rested on her nose.

"Excuse me, Ms. We need to get ahold of Mr. Richard Davidson." Karl said as the got close enough.

Her eyes left the screen, and she gave them all a critical glance. "State your names and the time of your meeting." She said monotonously. 

The trio exchanged glances. All of them must've thought that they should've been able to just walk in. That's when it hit Sapnap that he didn't even know exactly why George had insisted on getting to his dad. Helping Dream, sure. But there had to be another reason as well.