Chapter 19: Mr. Davidson

Start from the beginning

Karl gave him a sad look. "Can't you just explain the situation to George's dad and ask for protection? You saved his son; it must count for something?"

"I doubt it, I don't think he'll deem me worthy of saving." Sapnap stated with a humorless laugh.

A long pause followed and Sapnap nearly thought that Karl had fallen asleep until he spoke. "You're so self-critical. Think about it; you helped George escape, knowing that it would put a target on your back. You personally don't get anything out of it, yet you agreed to help."

Sapnap kept his eyes on the road but furrowed his brows. "Your point?"

Karl gave him a small smile. "It's a purely selfless act, yet you don't think you deserve anyone's help?"

"Who's gonna help me? Both Dream and George got enough on their plates already." He paused, feeling irritation overtaking his mind for some unexplained reason. "I can take care of myself, and both Dream and George have already done more than enough for me. As long as I know that they're safe, it's fine with me." He mumbled.

Karl's gaze burned on the side of his face. He hated how well the brunette appeared to be able to read him.

"So what? Everyone deserves a happy ending except you? If your friends are safe, it doesn't matter what happens to you? Sapnap noticed Karl's change of tone. He'd never heard him angry or irritated, but something about the subject had ticked him off.

"That not what I'm saying –"

"And you think that your friends will just abandon you once they've found safety?" Karl countered.

"No, but I can't ask anyone to sacrifice their well-being for my sake. I've known Dream a long time, that guy have already given up so much for me."

Karl huffed "You self-loathing, little nimrod." Sapnap was completely taken aback by Karl's newfound hostile attitude. He was about to answer but was interrupted.

"Then it's settled; If Dream or George won't help you, then I will. Because no one deserves to be alone." Karl stated firmly.

Stunned from Karl's statement, made it extremely difficult for Sapnap to come up with a response. This person who'd known him for less than a week offered to run away with him if that was what his future withheld. It was nuts, reckless, straight up stupid.

"Karl, we've barely known each other for a week. You've a bright future ahead of you, sacrificing that for a mere stranger is ludicrous."

"Don't 'Karl' me. And ouch, strangers? And here I was, thinking we were passed that stage."

He pinched the bridge of his nose. Why was Karl so set on helping him?

He glanced in the brunette's direction, who was giving him a firm but caring look. His head was swirling with thoughts. It felt wrong that anyone would have to deal with the aftermath of Sapnap's own stupid choices. He'd always found it hard to accept help, it most likely stemmed from a past filled with people that had made sure that he knew that every act of "kindness" came with a cost. 

If someone did something nice for you, you owed them twice as much in return.

He was surprised when a hand was placed upon his, that rested on the gear shift. His eyes darted to their hands, and he felt his cheek heating up from the touch. It shocked him when he realized that he actually enjoyed the small act of affection.

"I take your silence as your way of accepting my offer." Karl said with a joyfilled tone, which was something that Sapnap recognized way more than the hostility.

He locked eyes with the brunette. A broad smile decorated Karl's face and it sure was contagious. Their hands were still touching, but Sapnap had no desire to break the connection.