Chapter 18: He's Never Done That Before

Magsimula sa umpisa

"So, in other words, you're going to win tonight?" I faintly smirked as she nodded confidently.

"Of course. I'm going to cream you and Hazel."

"We'll have to see about that. Hazel's pretty good, since she plays it all the time."

"Hey, but you're forgetting, I live there too."

Around half an hour later I was at my best friend's house, and Clementine did end up winning every round of Mario Kart. Hazel was excited that I was staying over, even if it was already getting late when I showed up.

That night I lied on the inflatable mattress they set up for me, their room dark but soothing. I was staring up at the ceiling as I heard the mattress creaking beside me.

"Alyssa... Did you and Leo have a fight? Clementine said that you were upset about him," Hazel whispered.

"Don't bring it up. It's none of your business," her sister claimed.

"No, it's okay if she knows. He saw his dad again, and I think he's upset about it, since he hasn't talked to me. It's not a big deal. He deserves to have time to himself."

"You don't have to lie. If it's a big deal to you it is, but it's nice you're giving him his space. Boys hate it when you're all up in it," Hazel stated, causing me to smile a little.

"I'll remember that," I promised, us eventually drifting to dreamland. I wondered if Leo had waited for me before school, instantly feeling bad, since he automatically drove me anymore. I saw him in the school parking lot, hurrying in his direction, but he was moving faster. I figured I could catch him at his locker as Clementine joined up with Tobey, already smiling like crazy. "Hey. You okay," I gently asked Leo as he grabbed his books. He didn't utter a single word though, causing my heart to drop. "I'm sorry if you waited for me this morning. I ended up staying the night at Clementine's. I thought about calling, but you seemed like you were upset."

"I can't do this anymore," he stated.

"You can't do what anymore," I slowly asked.

"I remembered why I quit dating since the divorce. All love just ends the same. It doesn't last."

"We're not in love yet, Leo, and that's not true. You're just upset about seeing your dad again."

"No, I'm upset that he makes my mom so uncomfortable. I can't be with both of them without one of them being hurt. If they're together long enough they start arguing again. It happened last night when he visited out of nowhere again. He doesn't even have the fucking decency to call."

"I'm sorry...," I trailed off, not sure how else to respond.

"I love him, but he makes me so mad anymore. Yeah, they both agreed to split up, but he acts like nothing happened. Fuck... I have to get to class," he mumbled since the warning bell rang. He breezed past me, my heart squeezing painfully as I let him go.

"Where's Leo," I asked Tobey and Clementine at lunch.

"He decided to eat outside," Clementine answered.

"But it's freezing out there," I noted, catching a glimpse of him on one of the creme, marble benches in the courtyard.

"He wants to be alone right now," she delicately said, giving me a weak smile.

"Don't take it personally, Alyssa. He's going through a lot right now," Tobey added.

"I can drive you home if you need a ride," Clementine piped up.

I shook my head as tears coated my eyes, pain radiating throughout me partly from wanting to be there for Leo and already missing him.

"Where are you going, Alyssa? I thought you were giving him his space," Clementine recalled as I stood, my eyes focused on the blonde boy.

"I know, but I just... I can't let him just sit there all depressed and alone," I shared.

"Alyssa! Don't," she called as I nearly jogged down the hallway, eventually finding the correct double doors. The wind whipped my hair around some as I calmly walked up to Leo, who was slowly chewing his food. He was just studying his tray as he shoveled more peaches in syrup into his mouth.

"Hi," I softly greeted, just standing there like a statue.

"What are you doing here," he quietly wondered.

"I couldn't just let you be alone like this. It hurts too much." I sat beside him, placing my hand over his but he ripped his own hand from me.

"You don't understand how it hurts. Your parents have always been together. What do I have to do to fucking be alone," he snapped.

"Oh..." I felt stunned, since when people yelled at me I froze up. "I'm sorry... I guess, I shouldn't have.... Bye." I managed to run from the scene, the tears flowing down my cheeks as the stupid bell rang.

"Hey, did Leo yell at you," Tobey gently asked when I bumped into him.

"You were both right. I should have left him alone," I sobbed, him wrapping me up in his arms as Clementine soothingly rubbed my back. "I'm just not good at dealing with him ignoring me. I think... I'm falling for him more than I realize."

"I think you're already in love with him, Alyssa, but give it time. Leo will eventually love you too," Clementine reassured me.

"I hope so. I made him so mad. He just... He yelled at me. He's never done that before," I sniffled.

"You just pushed him. He might need awhile to deal with this, okay?" Clementine made me look at her as I nodded my head, her now giving me the warm hug.

I felt embarrassed when Leo saw the state I was in, him pausing before going on his way.

A/N: Hey guys, I hope you enjoyed this chapter even if it wasn't as happy as the previous ones. Please remember to comment, vote, and follow. Thank you so much! <3