Chapter 11 - A New Team Member?

Start from the beginning

*Approximately half an hour later*

Dex
- Phew, that was the last one. How the fuck did she stay alive with so many wounds? - he said while putting his tools away.

There was a small bowl with a bunch of blood-covered bullets in it next to us.

Blake
- Hmm, I don't know. But good thing she did stay alive after all.

Kendra
- She isn't wearing any armor or any gear. Was she a prisoner? - she noticed while examining Kate's bandaged body.

Blake
- She'll eventually tell us.

I and Kendra gently picked her up and moved her onto the bed.

Dex
- I don't know and don't care what you two will do but I'm going to sleep. This shit was fucking stressful - he said as he made his way to the exit.

Kendra
- Aren't these types of situations common for you?

Dex
- Try to get deep went bullets out of your teammate's body without severely damaging their vital organs, smartass.

Kendra
- Isn't that what medics specialize in?

Dex
- IsN't tHaT wHaT mEdIcS-, like shut the hell up - he mocked her and exited the room.

We stood there in silence for a few seconds.

Blake
- Why it is so damn entertaining to watch you two argue? - I asked with a chuckle.

Kendra
- I swear, I'm going to beat his ass one day... *sigh* Okay, you stay here and look after her. Notify me if she wakes up. I'll go get her room ready.

With those words she exited the room, leaving me, and passed out Kate alone.

I sat next to her bed, waiting for her to eventually wake up.

For no reason, or possibly because my male instincts kicked in, I started to examine her body.

She was quite curvy, had a body that would have been quite desirable in the old world.

She had long, wavy hair that seemed soft from distance.

She also had these bizarre, rocky formations with "sky blue veins" on her shoulders and wrists.

Blake
- She's attractive and...quite hot to be honest.

Just as I was looking at her, I slapped myself to get rid of these thoughts.

Blake
- Yeah, mhm, like my ugly, "double scar over right eye" pathetic ass has a chance.

After throwing these thoughts out of my mind I sat there, waiting for Kate to wake up.

Approximately an hour later, out of boredom, I drifted off to sleep.

*In dream flashback*

Logan
- That's my bo-!

*BANG*

*THUMP*

13yo Blake
- DAD! - I stared in disbelief at my dad's lifeless body lying on the ground, a blood puddle forming around his head.

The world around me disappearing, as I stood there kneeling on the ground, looking at his corpse, scared, not knowing what to do.

The scars on my right eye bleeding, covering half of my vision with red.

*CHK*

I felt a gun being pointed at me.

I turned around and was met with a tall female shark in white armor pointing a pistol at me.

Her sudden appearance made me stumble back.

Tears began to fill my eyes as I realized that this is probably the end for me.

I lay there, waiting for her to pull the trigger.

But she was just looking at me.

I noticed that her hand was shaking, which indicated that she was hesitating.

???
- Hide.

13yo Blake
- ...h-huh?

???
- Hide. Now.

I got on my feet and quickly hid behind a big rock that was several feet behind me.

I sit there, not moving until I heard footsteps getting closer and tried to hide my heavy breathing.

*Thump, thump, thump*

???
- Damn, good thing I have a little bit of sniper training - the unknown female voice spoke up.

???
- ...Y-yeah.

???
- Did you locate any fugitives here, Nika? - she asked while looking around.

???
- Negative, it was only him *points at dead Logan*

???
- You sure? - "the sniper" asked with an "awaiting answer" voice.

???
- Yes, I'm sure. Now let's return to the main bunch Big K.

???
- I told you not to call me that! - the female voice shouted.

Their footsteps became more distant over time.

I slowly peeked over the rock and seeing that no one was there, got out from behind it.

I slowly approached my dad's corpse.

13yo Blake
- ...D-dad... - tears slowly going down my face, I bend down and pulled out of one of his pockets our half-ripped family photo, with only me and dad standing on the left side of it.

After walking for a few seconds in the direction from where I thought that female sniper came, I found myself looking over the hill at the lake that was near our base.

Anthro soldiers were dumping dead bodies of human soldiers into the lake.

Over time, lake's sky blue water turned deep blue, almost red.

My young eyes couldn't handle this, my brain not comprehending this nightmare.

I got up, and while holding the photo in my hand I began running, just to get away from this place.

As I was running through the forest, everything started turning black.

And with that...

*End of dream*

...I woke up.

I looked around for a few seconds and after getting my grasp on reality I quickly remembered the events that had occurred during this day.

According to the clock on the wall in front of me, a few hours had passed.

I noticed Kate still haven't woken up.

A few minutes later, I heard a quiet groan escape her, as she was moving her head, and eventually, opened her eyes.

___________________________________________

Chapter Done!