Chapter 17: Autumn Birthday Party

Start from the beginning

"And don't you forget it," she teased.

"Yeah, yeah," Hazel waved off before joining Justin on the flowered couch.

"So, what's even on t.v. on Mondays," Clementine questioned after we drifted to the main room.

"I have no idea," Tobey admitted, all four of us plopping onto the brown sofa.

"We could just talk, you know just hang out," she brought up.

"Or we could go into your bedroom, and make out or something," Tobey finished, blushing a tiny bit.

"Do you guys mind? I know we're supposed to all hang out together, but like... Tobey looks so cute this evening," Clementine explained, her own face a little rosy.

"Yeah, that's okay," Leo reacted.

They both hurried off, smiling together and making sure her mom wasn't watching them leave.

"I swear, we only see them during dinner whenever we come here," I quietly laughed.

"Yeah, but I still like being here," Leo responded, draping his arm over my shoulders as I touched his hand.

"I'm not sure what to do without the gaming system. I mean, I'm not really in the mood for t.v."

"You want to make out," he joked, causing me to laugh louder than before.

"Not really. I mean, I'm just worried Clementine's mom would walk in. She's just in the kitchen," I whispered near the end.

"You do have a good point. Let's just talk then."

"Okay," I warmly smiled, us having the best time with only the two of us.

Saturday approached faster than I expected, and I arrived early to Leo's birthday party to help set up. I was in a pair of fall yellow pants with a long sleeved top with light pink and grey foxes on the front of it. I even slipped on a pair of plum colored sneakers, feeling very autumnal.

"Hey," Leo grinned the moment he saw me.

"Hey. The backyard looks great. I can already see you're setting up the tables."

"Yeah, my mom needs help carrying the food out though."

"I came over early to help."

"Alyssa, you don't have to do anything. You're a guest."

"And it's your birthday," I pointed out, reaching on my tip toes to peck his lips.

"Hi, Alyssa," his mom greeted when I stepped indoors.

"Hi. What needs carried out," I checked.

"I was just about to tackle the basket of tortilla chips."

"Okay, I can take those for you," I offered, already grabbing them. Before she could protest I had hurried outside, but I think she was getting tired already. I was sure she had made everything, including the cake.

Eventually everything was set up and I felt happy when the guests started to arrive. They had all gotten gifts for Leo, including Justin. There was a special table for the presents, everyone dropping them off before gravitating towards the food.

"Wow, these meatballs are amazing. Pretty spicy, but great," Clementine noted as she ate off her small, paper plate.

"Thanks. I was worried they might not go with the salsa and chips," Irmelin admitted.

"Are you kidding? Everything you make is amazing," Tobey cut in, still chewing.

"Are we going to sing Happy Birthday to you," I asked Leo as we got prepared for the dessert.