。003

THREE
PRETTY RED &
GLOWING EMBER
⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺⎺

  While the shorts give him some relief, the anxiety clawing through Izuku's skin to embed itself into his organs hasn't lessened as he stares at the entrance to his pre-school. Its bright opening does nothing to ease the dread rising within him, and he feels oxygen struggling to make its way through his tiny lungs.

  "Hey! Hey, Izu! Why're ya wearing those?"

  Izuku is sure he jumps at least a foot in the air, which is amusing when you consider that's just under half his height.

  "Kacchan!"

  Blond hair shines like a halo in the early morning sun and bounces as his best friend runs the rest of the way to him, wide red eyes glimmering brightly.

  "Ya finally here! Ya were gone forever!"

  "Sorry, Kacchan. I was-"

  "Ma said Aunty told her ya were sick. Ya okay now?" Izuku watches as his brows furrow in worry. Pale hand raising to rest on his forehead. Izuku flusters under the blond's concern, distractedly noting that his hands feel wetter and warmer than normal.

  "Yeah! I'm okay now! Don't worry about me!" He says, waving the blond's hand away and trying to grin as wide as possible but figures it probably looks weird on his face. "I'm fine now."

  Kacchan laughs. "Okay, okay, weirdo. Don't gotta split ya face in half."

  The blond turns to head inside, and Izuku happily follows, feeling that sense of normality he's craved these past weeks begin to settle in.

  "So yeah, why're ya not wearing the skirt?"

  Izuku stiffens. There goes normal. "Uh, well-"

  "Midoriya-chan."

  Izuku startles, whipping his head around and finding Okada-sensei walking up to him. The tall man crouches to meet his eyes, his usual gentle smile in place.

  " Uh, yes, Okada-sensei?" A sense of dread falls over Izuku, and he reaches down to grip the fabric of his new shorts like a lifeline.

  Okada-sensei follows the movement, then flicks his dark eyes back up to meet Izuku's green ones. "That isn't the uniform set skirt, Midoriya-chan." He says slowly, plainly.

  Izuku can't find the right response; he can only let small noises pass his quivering lips. Should he make up a reason? Should he tell the truth? Maybe he should've stayed home after all.

  But before he can figure out a response, Okada-sensei is already standing up, smile still in place. "Please go see Suzumi-sensei and get a skirt to change into." He turns to walk away before pausing suddenly. "Oh!" A bright grin plasters itself on his face as he faces Izuku again. "I'm glad you are feeling better, Midoriya-chan. Welcome back."

  Izuku lets go of the breath he'd been holding as his sensei finally leaves. He almost falls backwards when the tension in his body dissipates, but amazing Kacchan is there to save him, warm hands grabbing him by the shoulders with a shout.

  His best friend is saying something, and the look in his ruby eyes makes Izuku's gut twist, but Izuku can't hear him over the white noise in his head. He considers once again if maybe he should've listened to his mother and stayed home. He kicks himself, wondering what made him think something would go right for him, especially something like this.