TWENTY

June 3rd, 1992 | 8:08pm

I knocked on the front door of Eric's home in Norwalk. I knew he was home because his BMW was parked in the driveway. He only used the Calabasas mansion to get away from the city for a bit or to host parties. This was his main domain. Tasha and Mia stayed in the car, watching me knock on the door.

Then, the door swung open. Eric stood there fully dressed as if he was about to head out. A black polo button up with ironed cuffed collars and short sleeved. Dark washed denim pants that were cuffed over his black high top Chuck Taylor's. His Compton snapback leaning on the back of his head. His hair was curled in his signature style. He looked surprised to see me standing there and then cracked a smile.

"You coming in?" He asked with his arm raised above his head and leaned on the opening of the door. His eyes scanned my ensemble before meeting my eyes again. "I can, but I can't stay long." I pointed my thumb behind me to my Benz that was parked on the street in front of his home. The windows were down and Tasha and Mia stuck their heads out of the window.

Eric's eyes looked past my shoulder and into the car, looking at my friends. "Those your homegirls from back home?" He asked. I said 'yeah'. I looked back at them as they waved at Eric from the car. He waved back at them. "What's up?" He called out. Then, he turned his attention back towards me.

"Well, come in. You're letting the cold air out." Eric grabbed my hand and lead me inside of his home, shutting the door behind me. His couch was occupied with a few of his homeboys that I met from his childhood. They acknowledged my presence as I walked by them, heading for Eric's bedroom.

Eric opened the door and let me walk in first, softly closing the door behind him. "So, what's up? I see you brought your crew and everything else." Eric said with such a drawl that it made my heart skip a beat.

"Yeah, something like that." I said, tightening my ponytail. I nervously paced around his bedroom. He just stood by his bedroom door and watched me. "Well, say what you have to say." Eric laughed at my pacing.

I inhaled a deep breath before sighing loudly. "I came here to tell you something." I said nervously. I couldn't even lift my head to look him in the eye.

"You pregnant?" Eric asked with a low voice. His footsteps getting closer to where I was standing.

"Eric, no. I'm not pregnant. If I missed my period, you'd know." I looked up and there he was. Standing in front of me, staring me down.

"So if you're not pregnant, and the house isn't burning down... then what is it?" Eric lifted my chin with the curl of his index finger. We locked gazes for a moment.

"I know you're not scared of little ol' me." He joked as he waited for me to crack a smile at what he just said. My hands trembled and were starting to get sweaty. "Speak up." He said.

"Eric, I love you. Okay?" I blurted out. The room had become silent. A little too silent for my liking. We stood there in the silence for God knows how long until he cleared his throat.

"That's what you came here for?" Eric laughed. I was confused as to why he was laughing at my profession. "It's not funny, Eric!" I stepped away from him and started to pace around his bedroom again. I can't believe I'm over here embarrassing myself like this.

Eric's footsteps were soft behind me. I felt his arms wrap around my shoulders and his lips kiss the back of my head. "I'm sorry for laughing." He said softly. "Hey, I love you too. You should've known by now." Eric turned me around and held me in his arms.

My head resting against his chest. I listened to his heart beat against my ear, letting my head rise and fall with every breath he took. He laughed to himself before speaking. "You feel better now, honey? Huh?" He asked in a 1960's rom-com sort of accent. It made me laugh a bit.