S1 ‹Female Titan: The 57th Exterior Scouting Mission, Part 1›

Start from the beginning

Armin continues to dash on his horse. He glances around and flinches when crows fly out, gawking. He shakes his head and looks back ahead of him.

[Armin]: We'll be fine.. Calm down..-He then shoots to his right due to the sound of flare guns being shot. Out came a red signal as Armin remembers the instructions-

[Ness]: The vanguard scout squad encounters the Titans most often. Upon sighting a Titan, they'll fire a red smoke signal. Soldiers that see it should relay it by firing one of the same colors. After observing the signals to determine the Titan's position, the Commander will fire a green smoke signal that will indicate the formation's new course. Thus, the entire formation can advance to its destination while avoiding the Titans..

Sasha encounters a small village as she glances her surroundings sharply.

[Ness]: However, terrain or obstacles can delay a sighting, which may allow Titans to breach the formation..

As Sasha continues her hurrying, an Abnormal burst through a building, making her let out loud whimpers. She turns and makes her horse run as fast as possible, leaving in just the nick of time before meeting her doom-

[Sasha]: Red... Red smoke signal...-Sasha mutters, struggling to put the red smoke in her gun. Unfortunately for her, it falls out of her grasp as it gets exploded by the Abnormal behind her-

[Soldier]: Blouse! This way!..-She shoots her head to the left to see two soldiers as one of them fires a red smoke- Damn! Looks like we missed one..-The soldier turns to his comrade- Let's draw it toward us..-He then turns back to Sasha- Blouse! Come this way!.

With no hesitation, she swerves her horse over to them, moving on time before the Titan can chomp her. The Abnormal watches her flee when noticing the two soldiers running past it. Its new goal was now them as it started to go after them in all fours-

[Soldier]: I'll handle it. Withdraw!..

The soldier tells the other as he runs off a different direction. The soldier continues to run when he approaches small homes and one single tree. He looks behind him and pushes his horse faster, turning left from the tree, and causing the Titan to hit its face on it. Sasha makes her way to him.

[Sasha]: Squad Leader...

[Soldier]: Get back in position! He's out of gas..

And so, they went back to the plan. Armin looks up at the sky and ponders, sweating a bit.

[Armin]: Something's strange... It's been a while since the red smoke signal was fired, but we've yet to regroup..Don't tell me...-He then recalls what the instructor said in the small classroom-

Note that the methods I've discussed are only for use against easily predictable, normal Titans..

From a distance, a black smoke was signaled out to everyone, making Armin gasp.

[Armin]: A black smoke signal?..-He goes and places the black smoke in his flare gun and pulls the trigger above his head, launching out the signal- Is one ignoring nearby people and heading straight for the formation's center?.. There's no doubt about it. It's... an Abnormal!..

Right as that thought was finished, an Abnormal came bursting through trees, along with two soldiers trying to stop it.

Combat is only necessary against Abnormals, which are unpredictable..