Darling

After getting over my blushing- mess off the floor, I stood in the kitchen, hands on my hips.

"What are we gonna do today, Brooke?" I ask myself, before retreating back into the living room and plopping down on the couch, phone in hand.

Instagram bores me after about and hour and I stand, getting dressed in shorts and a baggy shirt. I give myself a peace sign in the mirror, before running a brush through my hair.

  I sigh, digging through my bag of makeup, finding concealer, I start working on my face.

  The house is extremely quiet, the occasional sounds of a jet making the house shake. I start playing my music, dancing a bit.

  With a shaky hand I do my eyeliner, the line getting continually thicker each time. I sigh, leaning back, deciding that this was the best it was gonna get.

  I wonder if Jake remembers me at all. He hasn't hinted it.

Three years ago:

I sit next to Rooster in Hawaii at a shaved- ice stand. It was warm and hot and sticky, and the ice was a refreshing treat.

  "Can I get more?" I ask my brother, peering at my empty cup. It is my birthday, and I am turning twenty- one... Bradley has promised me unlimited shaved ice.

"Sure." He says, handing my five bucks. Phoenix looks up from her place across from him. A few select pilots where brought to the military base for three weeks of difficult training, most of them ex- TopGun pilots.

"Need me to come with you, birthday girl?" She asks, and I shake my head.

"I've got it. Trust me." I say, glancing at the table behind us. Three male pilots sit there, enjoying their shaved ice. One looks up at me, his mouth twisted into a smirk.

He winks at me, and I am a bit taken- aback. I hurry away, my hand gripping the five dollar bill.

I stand in line, tapping my foot. I glance at the menu, even though I already know what I am going to order.

"What are you getting, beautiful?" A voice asks, and I tilt my head to look at the man standing next to me. He's the pilot who winked at me.

"Are you talking to me?" I ask, surprised. His smirk wavers slightly.

"Of course." He says, confused. I meet his gaze.

"Pineapple is my favorite." I say, glancing away from him, a blush creeping on my face from his sharp gaze.

"Perfect." He says, stepping forward to the booth's window. "Two pineapple, please." He says, smiling at the woman behind the window.

"What are you doing?" I ask him sharply, standing next to him as he hands the lady his credit card.

"Buying a pretty girl dessert." He says as the woman hands him two small, yellow shaved ice.

He holds one out to me, and I hesitate before I take it.

"Thank you." I say quietly, and he grins.

"It was my pleasure." He holds out his hand. "I'm Jake."

I shake his hand, giving him a light smile.
"My name is Brooke." I say. He smiles.

"Brooke!" Bradley calls, waving me over to the truck. I give Jake an apologetic smile.

"I have to go. I really appreciate the ice. See you around?" I say.

"Of course, Sweetheart." He says. "You better hurry. Rooster is calling for you."