Chapter 4 - Daddy Daryl to the rescue

Daryls POV

I woke up to little Cass soundly sleeping beside me. I have billions of questions to ask her when she wakes up; She probably has many questions to ask me also. Though, I do have a lot of explaining to do. I have so many things to tell her that's going to be hard to get out of my mouth. I could almost cry just looking at her right now. I thought that my little sunshine had surely passed away; Either being to weak or getting brutally torn apart by them walkers. Sure, she knew how to handle a gun, knife, and bow; I was just worried sick every single night. You don't really get to choose your fate in this world anymore.

Everyone at this damn farm think I'm so badass. When in reality, I've sobbed every night worrying about Cassidy. I have also cried about... Jayden and Ryan. Many, many times have I cried in the past six months. Ever since a big herd came in between us that one day, my life has messed up. I could almost cry again just thinking about that horrendous day...

*flashback*
Cassidy, Ryan, Jayden, and me had been traveling from house to house. Finally, we decided that we should head into the heart of Atlanta. We thought that we could find a good hotel to stay at. Anything that would be more comfortable than beds and couches without blankets. Anyways, when we finally arrived everything was so quiet. It was actually too quiet. Surely there should have been somebody raiding a building of its food and supplies. Nope. Not a soul in sight. There wasn't even a single walker.

We were walking down the blood stained road. Side by side. The wind was lightly blowing, causing leaves to dance across the road and through the air. There was a Hampton Inn down the block. I know because we used to go there every weekend here and there to swim and relax as a family. We were turning the corner when I witnessed a gruesomely terrible sight. Maybe around 100 or more walkers feasting on a horses carcass. I quietly hushed the kids and made some hand motions; indicating for them to turn around and quietly run. It was too late. The ugly beasts saw us, and they were ready for a new meal to share.

They just... They just came at us too quickly. They almost completely swarmed around us; They did separate us. Cassidy on her own, the boys together, and me. I quickly slid both of my guns to Cassidy and the boys so they would have something to protect themselves. I was going to tell them where some safe places are, but it was too late. The flesh eating monsters were chasing us away from eachother.

"DADDY!!!" yelled Cassidy as she was running. Her face stained with tears.
"DAD!!!" the boys said in sinc.
"I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! STAY SAFE!!!" that's all I had time to say. Then we were forced to go our separate ways.

One by one I was shooting the walkers. Blood was splattering all over my face, covering my tears. I had to hide in a nearby army tank until the walkers cleared the road. As I was waiting I fell asleep, and when I woke up... I had nothing. My kids were gone; Possibly torn apart by those nasty things. After some more sobbing, I was tired of being cramped up in the tank. I didn't hear any moans from walkers, so I grabbed my crossbow and ran for the woods.

*End of flashback*

I was broke out of my daze when Cassidy started to squirm around. She stretched her arms out, and her eyes fluttered open.

"Good morning, daddy." she said in a light southern, and sleepy, accent.
"Good morning, Sunshine." I responded. Her stomach growled.
I chuckled. "I think carol is making breakfast now. Let's go check."

We got up, but as we went to walk towards the tent she hesitated and stopped.

"I don't wanna go near Carl." she whimpered.

I looked around the farm. No Carl in sight.

"I don't see him. Let's go eat breakfast." I slightly smiled.
"Okay." She said with the sweetest voice.

We walked quickly to the tents, where everyone was socializing and enjoying the potatoes that Carol had fried over the fire. I couldn't wait to tell them about Cass being my daughter. As Cass and I approached everyone everyone greeted us and smiled.

"So, Cassidy. I see you've met Daryl." said Rick.
"Actually guys, Cassidy is-um-my daughter." I replied.
"Yep! I'm Cassidy Rose Dixon!" Cass smiled a wide smile. Then She grasped me in a hug.

Everyone basically said "awwwee". Cass and I sat down to eat. She was really getting along with everyone. I was so happy that she was. She always did have a charm that won over anyone's heart. Except one persons heart. Carl. Just as I nought that I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. It happened to be Carl coming out of his tent. The tent that he was supposed to share with Cass, but rudely denied her existence.

I got up, and grasped his arm.

"Oh, hey, Daryl. What's up?" he said like he didn't do anything.
"Don't 'Oh, hey, Daryl. What's up?' me." I spat in his face.
"What's with the attitude?"
"Carl, come with me. Let's have a talk." I said.

We walked to the porch, and both of us sat on the railing.

"What do you need, Daryl?" what an idiot. He's very oblivious.
"Don't act like nothing happened."
"I don't understand..." he trailed off.
"Okay, Carl. Let me just say it. Cassidy, yeah the girl that you seem to hate for no reason, yeah. She's my daughter." his eyes went wide. He also opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off.
"I don't understand why you show such a strong hatred for someone you've never even gotten the chance to get to know. I found her last night crying, Carl. She told me how you blew her off when she tried to introduce herself. Also, last night, when you couldn't stand to simply share a tent with her. Why do you have to be a twerp? I don't understand." I could've rambled on some more, but I'd love to hear his explanation.
"She reminds me a lot about Sophia. Sophia was the only one that understood me. The only one I liked..." He said. I was blown away.
"Wow. I understand how you feel, but give Cass a chance or else." I threatened.
"But Daryl-."
"No buts. Go talk to her." He rolled his eyes and shuffled over to Cassidy.

I sure hope he doesn't blow this. Cassidy needs a friend her age. I can be her friend, but I'm still her father; it wouldn't be the same as a best friend. She seems to be okay friends with everyone else, but she needs Carl. Carl could use a friend too. He's been too serious; Acting like he's an adult. Cass and him need to be kids as long as they can, and I hope Cass will bring out his inner child.

As Carl approaches Cass, I go over to my tree to watch from a far. I can't wait to see how this goes.

-

GO DADDY DARYL! 😂
I HOPE YOU GUYS LIKED THIS! ❤️
CHAPTER 5 IS ON ITS WAY! ✨
COMMENT WHAT YOU THOUGHT! IM SUPER DUPER CURIOUS! 😍