Chapter 7

Steve returned the movies the next day, walking behind the counter to talk to Robin despite being off the clock.

"It's not just Eddie."

"What's not just Eddie? And what are you doing back here? You're not working."

"It's not just Eddie. Eddie isn't the only hot one," he was whisper-shouting at her.

"Okay? And who is the other 'hot one,' then?" she used her fingers to serve as quotation marks.

He handed her A Nightmare on Elm Street, "Johnny Depp."

She bit her lip in a failed attempt to hold in her laughter, "Oh my god... no way-"

"Haha. You're so funny. Laugh it up." Steve crossed his arms and waited for her hysterics to end.

"I'm sorry, thats just... that was not what I was expecting.." she wiped her eyes. "Was it the crop top?"

"Are you done?" He refused to answer her.

"Yeah. I'll cut you some slack. Just this time though because you're in crisis and I'm nice."

"Gee thanks."

"I have a movie for you, by the way. I picked it out this morning. I think it would be a good one," she turned around to get the tape she had put on hold for Steve earlier.

"What is it?"

"Rocky Horror Picture Show? Maybe you do have decent taste, Harrington." Eddie looked back up at Steve, who still hadn't said anything. "You didn't pick this out, did you?"

Steve hesitated for a bit, "I... yeah, no, Robin gave it to me."

"Tell her she's cultured next time you see her."

"I'm not saying that. It'll go straight to her head."

Eddie went to put the movie in, smiling like a kid on Christmas morning. Steve got beers for them from the kitchen before he joined Eddie on the couch, sitting further away than he had last night.

"Don't worry, Harrington. You'll like it, I promise. You're about to witness a cinematic masterpiece."

"Don't get my hopes up."

He actually didn't mind the movie to be honest. It was funny enough, and the fact that he was well on his way to being drunk by the time Creature of the Night started playing probably helped. Eddie didn't seem too far behind.

He watched as Steve got up from the couch, "Want to kick it up a notch?"

"What are you talking about?"

Steve left the room and came back a minute or two later with bottles of liquor in either hand. "My dad keeps all this shit in the cabinet, but he's never here anyway. Someone's gotta drink it, right?"

"Didn't realize you were a bartender too. Is there anything you can't do?"

"Laundry." He answered as he walked back to the kitchen. "Can I interest you in a Captain and Coke?"

"I'll drink whatever you give me, Stevie." He had gotten into the habit of calling him that. He could hear the fridge door open and Steve's voice followed soon after.

"How about Sex on the Beach?"

He got up and paused the movie before walking into the kitchen to join Steve, "You could at least buy me dinner first."

Steve smiled up at him as he poured vodka into two tall glasses... maybe a little too much. Then it was something that smelled peach-y. Eddie didn't really get a good look at it. Orange juice, cranberry juice. Steve put those back in the fridge when he was done and went to one of the drawers to get a stirrer, closing it with his hip before he went back to the counter to mix them, "Sorry it's not fancy."