Chapter 4

Over breakfast Steve mentioned that he had work the next day. "I can leave the number for the store so you can call if you need anything."

"You gonna bring back a movie for us to watch?"

"If you want one, put in your requests."

"If you bring home a rom-com, a drama, or a comedy I might actually have to kill you."

"That's definitely not vague at all.." Steve raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, if the comedy is Airplane! or Weird Science then it's acceptable."

"Seriously? Those are the exceptions?"

Eddie shrugged, "I like what I like, Harrington."

"Fair enough."

Eddie helped with dishes after dinner. Steve insisted it was fine and he didn't have to, the same as breakfast, and the day before, and the day before that, but Eddie ignored him and said it was the polite thing to do. And he was a gentleman, after all. He accentuated his words with a dramatic bow. Steve just laughed and went back to wiping off the counters. He wrote down the number for Family Video on a notepad after he was done because he knew he would forget about it the next day.

He kept an eye on Eddie, who was sitting on the couch across from him like always. Since when did five days become always? He noticed Eddie hadn't been drinking as much anymore, and he was pretty sure that he hadn't had anything tonight. It was probably for the best in hindsight, but he doubted Eddie's dreams had subsided that quickly.

"Have you been sleeping better?"

Eddie looked up from the book he was reading, one Steve had found in his dad's office. It was Salem's Lot. "Oh... uh.. a little bit I guess. I mean, the drinking really did help, so kudos to you for that one. I don't really want to make it a habit though..."

Steve nodded, studying Eddie's face as he struggled choose his words.

"I'm still having bad dreams, but I think now I kind of know they're just dreams. And I know they'll go away eventually. Maybe not 100% but I think I can manage now. Plus it's boring to drink by yourself, and you are abandoning me to go to work tomorrow."

Steve laughed, "Yeah, sorry. I couldn't find anyone to take my shift. I'm here for the next two weeks though."

"What?" Eddie closed the book, leaving his spot marked by his index finger.

"I took off for the next two weeks."

"You didn't have to do that. I can take care of myself. I probably won't even be here that much longer anyways. I'm eating your food, and getting in your way, and-"

"You're doing my laundry."

"Well... yeah, but-"

"Eddie, you're not in the way." He liked the sound of his name coming out of Steve's mouth. He liked the sound of anything Steve said, really. "It's actually nice having someone else here for once."

Eddie opened his mouth to protest again, but the sincerity of what Steve had said stopped him from saying anything. Eddie went back to reading and Steve went back to watching MacGyver.

"I'm gonna head upstairs early so I'm not late tomorrow," Steve got up once the episode he was watching ended.

Eddie gave a small nod of acknowledgement, still engrossed in his book, well, Steve's dad's book.

As he went upstairs, Steve couldn't shake the feeling of uneasiness that arose in him at the mention of Eddie leaving. Steve really liked having someone at home with him, even if it was just Eddie Munson. And what if someone went after Eddie like they went after his trailer? People in Hawkins hated him. They didn't care what the police said, in the eyes of the people, Eddie was a murderer. God forbid something happened to him after Steve just let him go. That would be his fault, wouldn't it? Eddie was safe here.