The Beginning of Something New

She promised me that she wouldn't get hurt this time but I knew she was lying. I never liked people who didn't keep their promises to me, but I couldn't be mad. 

It was his fault that she couldn't afford to keep her promises to me.

However, I couldn't handle it, I couldn't bear to hear the sounds of her begging him not to punish her. It wasn't her fault, it was mine.

I tried to focus on the screen in front of me but I couldn't, it was too loud. I wanted to come down and help her but I promised her not to, like always. 

"Honey, please, let's talk this o-" before she could even finish he hit her, and that was my last straw. 

I get up from my bed and make my way downstairs. 

As I started descending I could see her bent over gripping the wall for support, while he looked down at her in disgust.

My heart hammered against my chest as I started to feel horrified. Tears started to form in my eyes but I quickly blinked them away.

As my feet touch the floor I saw him grab her by her arm, her face lifted up to see his. 

As I saw him raise his hand I yelled, "s-stop!"

His eyes quickly met mine but he didn't even flinch.

"Baby, what are you doing here?" I hear her ask.

 "Go upstairs okay? I'm fine, I promise." She said as tears gleamed in her eyes. The cut on her lip, the bruise on her cheek, and the blood coming down her nose, didn't help me to believe her.

"Yea listen to your mom, go upstairs." He said but before I could say anything else he slams her aginst the wall.

I could hear her groan in pain as she tilts her head forward. Tears then started to roll down my cheeks as she attempts to get up but fall back down.

And before realizing what I was doing I grabbed the vase next to me and threw it at him.

The glass shattered and his body fell forward at the sudden impact on his head. My hands started to shake as I realized what I had done.

He then met my gaze and slowly got up. I tried to run away but I couldn't move, it felt as if I was stuck.

He started walking toward me and as he got close he spoke up, "you're coming with me."

My eyes fly open and I sit up as quickly as I can as I try to catch my breath. I place my hand on my chest feeling my heart beat like crazy.

 I immediately then grab my glasses from the nightstand and turn on my lamp, looking around the room.

After a couple of minutes, I look over at the clock to see what time it is and see it's only 4 a.m.

I get out of bed and walk into my room.

 As I walk into the kitchen I pull out a cup from the cabinet and pour myself some water. 

"Who's there?" I hear mom call out. "It's me, mom, don't worry." She walks into the kitchen and lets out a sigh.

"What are you doing here? We have to wake up early, we have a road trip." She says leaning against the counter.

"I hope it wasn't a nightmare, was it?" she says. I look at her and I can see her begin to get worried.

"It wasn't a nightmare mom. I was just thirsty," I say as I grab the cup of water and gulp it down.

"Well, if you do tell me okay?"