Chapter 2

Jennifer's Pov-

"Psst. Jen." I woke up to two voices

"Jen!" One of them got louder and I knew that Kay and Sabrina were at my window.

I looked at my clock on the bedside table and saw that it was 8:00 in the morning. Annoyed, I threw my pillow at the window.

"Come on Jen, now that you're awake you cant go back to sleep." Sabrina teased as they climbed through my window.

"Ugh. Why do you people get up this early?" I groaned stretching

"Come on Jen did you forget what we're doing today?" Kay asked crossing her arms

"I was planning on sleeping in but I guess those plans were'nt mentioned to either of you." I said as I got up out of my bed

"We're going to Brooklyn!" Sabrina practically screamed

"Shhhh! Dont wake my dad up you know what he'll do if he finds out we're going there." I said covering her mouth

"Sorry." she said

"Here put these on and we'll meet at our special spot in 10." Kayleigh said tossing me an old blue dress, before climbing out the window with Sabrina.

"Okay."I said closing the window and slipping the dress over my head.

I looked in the mirror and slightly gasped at my reflection. I looked so much like my mother in that dress. It was hers before she married Snyder and she gave it to me when he said it was to "cheap" to wear. It was the last preaent she gave to me before she died of tuberculosis , last year.

Shaking my memories off, I quickly brushed my hair and put my old boots on. I didn't bother telling Snyder where I was going because I knew he wouldn't care, so I climbed out the window and walked to our special spot.

After we all became best friends in the 6th grade, we decided that we should have a special spot to hang out at. We didn't really use this place as a 'hangout', instead we used it as a meeting place. I walked around the corner and down the street to our spot.

"Hey look who finally showed up!" Kay laughed when she saw me.

"Did she finally show up?" Sabrina asked, sitting upside down on the bench.

"What are you doing?" I asked before she fell trying to get up.

"She was bored." Kayleigh chuckled with me.

"It's alright guys no need to worry about me." Sabrina said sarcastically from the ground.

"Okay." I smirked and she playfully glared at me.

"Anyways....Lets go." Sabrina said getting up.

"Yay!" Kay said linking her arms in between Sabrina and I

"Do you think we'll get in trouble?" Sabrina asked a little scared

"Yup were gonna end up being in a fight." I said simply

"Shut up." she murmured

"We'll be fine Sabrina." Kay reassured her.

"I hope so."

"Where are you goils heading to day?" The Newsie with the cowboy hat asked as we passed him.

"Oh nowhere." I smirked.

"Is that nowhere Brooklyn?" He smirked

"Uh. Pshh. No" Kay said

"Why are Ya goin there?" He asked

"We're curious" Sabrina said and I elbowed her in the ribs

"Ohh so you are goin to Brooklyn." he grinned

"Yes but what's it to you Mr....." I led off not knowing his name.

"Kelly. Jack Kelly. And you three are?" He said

"I'm Jen, this is Kay, and this is Sabrina." I said

"Oh pretty names, we'll be safe in Brooklyn today. They aren't exactly the friendliest people. Especially the king a Brooklyn." Jack said

"Who's he?"

"The most feared newsie in all of New York." he shrugged

"Okay we'll take your advice" I said and we walked off.

"Bye Kay" he said to her as we left.

"Ooh. Someone's in loove" Sabrina said noticing Kay's blush

"Shut up."

"She admits it!" I said and high fived her.

"Well here we are. Are you guys ready?" Kay said changing the subject as we got the the bridge that connected Brooklyn and Mahattan.

"I was born ready"